buying power limits when using ATM - NT7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying power limits when using ATM - NT7

I have been testing a simple ATM strategy against an MB demo account. Basically enterlong market, then set a stop, autobreakeven and autotrail. During testing (when trading at higher leverage ratios), I'm finding that I need twice the amount of margin in the account to reverse (sometimes close) a position that is being managed by the ATM versus simply closing the position manually and entering another position. I consistently get an error, "Order rejected for reason: insufficient buying power affected Order: Buy 250000 Market" when closing the position manually after entering the initial order (and having a stop placed). If I enterlong w/o the ATM, close, then enter long or short again, its ok. But when using the ATM and enterlong the same size trade (stop, autoBE, autotrail), then reverse (close), I get the error. Once I enter with the ATM and manually close the position, the trail or stop is closed but the position is left open, then I have to click "close" again to close the position.

The demo account was at a balance of $12k with a margin requirement of $6,763.70 for 250K lots when the most recent tests were done.

I'm using NT7RC1 and 11.5 of MB navigator.
    Last edited by mgin98; 11-17-2010, 04:56 PM.

Hello mgin98,

Thank you for your post.

It sounds like MB Trading is applying the margin requirement to the other orders even though they are liquidation orders.

To be sure you would contact MB Trading to see how there margin policy is applied to various open orders. Alternatively we can take a look at the diagnostic files to see if we can ferret out this information (just go to Help > Mail to Support and reference this forum thread).

Thank you,
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by mmenigma, Today, 02:22 PM
    0 responses
    1 view
    0 likes
    Last Post mmenigma  
    Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM