Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

I`m able to load futures, forex and stocks from IB, but NT can`t find sector ETFs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I`m able to load futures, forex and stocks from IB, but NT can`t find sector ETFs?

Hello Ninjas,

I`ve been trying to access sector ETFs from the S&P universe. For instance the XLF for the financial sector, but I`m not able to load them.

First I thought I lacked a market data subscription, but I have now successfully loaded the symbol in TWS.

When I try to find it in NT, I get a blank screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Thank you for your post.

Can you provide me with the settings you're using for this instrument so that I may test on my end?
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Kyle,

What settings?

I request a new chart in NT, search for XLF and do not get any results. XLF is simply not in the list of instruments.

Do I have to add it manually?

Comment

Hi Johnny,

XLF is not an instrument which is included by default. I was assuming that you added the instrument manually.

Is it the case that you simply typed 'XLF' in to an existing chart?

Comment

I thought I by default had access to every instrument that I have subscribed to in IB?

I go to Tools -> New chart -> Instrument lookup -> Search -> Zero results.

Can you walk me through how to add them manually if that is what I have to do?

Thanks,

Johnny

Comment

Johnny,

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
            • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
            • Press the "New" button
            • *Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
            • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivty provider
            • Press the "OK" button

* If you wish to add an equity, this can be accomplished without following the steps above. Just open a chart (for example) and start typing in the symbol and a new instrument is automatically created.
            The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
            • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
            • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
            • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
            • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.

Comment

Hello Kyle,

Sorry that I did not thank you earlier.

I did manage to add every sector ETF successfully, except XLB. The chart seems to load properly and all, but I get the error message below:

"Unable to subscribe to market data. Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manager SPY Default."

The SPY (SPY @ ARCA) have I not managed to add successfully at all. I replicate the exact same process as with the others, and I get the error message above and also the one below:

"Error on loading chart data for SPY Default: Unable to change order: Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manager SPY Default.

Any clues?

SPY works with IB, so it is not any data issues on their end I believe.

I also have trouble adding AD-NYSE, the advance/decline line of NYSE issues.

Thanks very much in advance,

Johnny

Comment

Hello Johnny,

Which exchanges do you have enabled for XLB?

Comment

Hey Kyle,

By some miracle, both XLB and SPY loaded correctly in Ninja today. XLB seemed to load properly despite the error message yesterday, but SPY did not load at all. Could it have anything to do with the exchange being closed (Sunday)? It did work in IB though.

The AD-NYSE line is still unsolved though. Any clues here?

Thanks,

Johnny

Comment

Hi Johnny,

1.) Are you still receiving the error message, despite these instruments loading correctly?

2.) Are you using the symbol AD-NYSE, or the pre-configured ADD which is included with NinjaTrader. ADD would be the symbol you'll want to use.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                      Hi Johnny,

1.) Are you still receiving the error message, despite these instruments loading correctly?

2.) Are you using the symbol AD-NYSE, or the pre-configured ADD which is included with NinjaTrader. ADD would be the symbol you'll want to use.
                      1) No error messages today. Everything seems to be working.

2) Actually, I did try to add the symbol AD-NYSE. Now, I see the ADD symbol you mention and I recall trying to use it in the past without success.

What happens is that NT says "Loading data..." Then I get a blank screen with zero on the bottom of the vertical axis and 0,01 on the top.

Comment

Hi Johnny,

Please try loading ADD and let me know if this is the behavior currently.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                          Hi Johnny,

Please try loading ADD and let me know if this is the behavior currently.
                          Hey Kyle,

I had already tried this today when I wrote my last post. It should load properly with candlesticks, yes? I tried changing to a line chart just in case, but it did not make a difference.

As per your request, I tried to load it now after the close, but this time I got two error messages:

"Unable to subscribe to market data: Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manager ADD Default."

"Error on loading chart for "ADD Default": Unable to change order: Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manager ADD Default."

Comment

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the clarification.

Please disconnect from IB, reset your instrument list, then restart NinjaTrader and check to see if ADD data is now available to you.

To reset your instruments please: go to the Tools menu, select the Options menu item, select the Data tab, and then click on 'Reset Instruments'.

Comment

Hello Kyle,

I just did that and I have to disappoint you. I get the same error message.

Logging off now for the night. Will probably not get back to you before tomorrow.

Best regards,

Johnny

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post inanazsocial  
                              Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                              5 responses