Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Semi discretionary trading with ninjatrader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi discretionary trading with ninjatrader?

I like to automate parts of my discretionary trading strategy. I heard Multicharts has that capability but I prefer not to change platforms if I can do something similar with ninja trader.

Can you please let me know if I can do the following 3 scenarios in Ninjatrader v7 and any pointers?

Scenario:1
    -------------
    (a) Discretionary entry via chart based trading
    (b) Discretionary to trail stop to position to breakeven/+x ticks
    (c) From there trail stop on position using an automated strategy. Existing ATM templates are too rudimentary in the sense I cannot use price action structure or any indicators to trail stops automatically. So can I write a program and have ninjatrader use that as an ATM from that point on in trade management.

Scenario:2
    ----------------
    While doing chart based trading, can I make ATM template trigger my own programs for managing various stages of the trade i.e., (a) Entry to break even on position, (b) Break even to 1st profit target and (c) Subsequent profit management with targets/trail stops. These programs would be using indicators/price action structure for stop management.

Scenario:3
    ---------------
    Setup Analysis, Entry, Stop and Profit Management aspects are automated in a strategy but the strategy asks me before initiating trade (i.e., before entry) whether to initiate trade or not. If my response is yes then strategy places trade and manages the trade automatically.

Regards,

Hello,

Thanks for your forum post.

Scenario:1
    -------------
    (a) Discretionary entry via chart based trading
    (b) Discretionary to trail stop to position to break even/+x ticks
    (c) From there trail stop on position using an automated strategy. Existing ATM templates are too rudimentary in the sense I cannot use price action structure or any indicators to trail stops automatically. So can I write a program and have ninjatrader use that as an ATM from that point on in trade management.

This is possible with ATM Strategy for auto breakeven and auto trail. However not possible to base upon indicator input. Development is seriously considering adding this feature in however as of currently it is not availiable. The stop would need to be adjusted manually in this case to follow an indicator value.

Scenario:2
    ----------------
    While doing chart based trading, can I make ATM template trigger my own programs for managing various stages of the trade i.e., (a) Entry to break even on position, (b) Break even to 1st profit target and (c) Subsequent profit management with targets/trail stops. These programs would be using indicators/price action structure for stop management.

Unfortunately the only options availiable in an ATM Strategy or automated exit in general are auto breakeven, and auto trail and simulated stops. To automate the exit of a position the entry must have also been automated. Therefor you are trading with an automated trading system is your other option. It would be fully automated or the exit managed with an ATM Strategy.

Scenario:3
    ---------------
    Setup Analysis, Entry, Stop and Profit Management aspects are automated in a strategy but the strategy asks me before initiating trade (i.e., before entry) whether to initiate trade or not. If my response is yes then strategy places trade and manages the trade automatically.

This is currently also unsupported. However I will forward these recommendations to development.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by gravdigaz6, Yesterday, 11:40 PM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
    Started by MarianApalaghiei, Yesterday, 10:49 PM
    3 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred