Missing candlesticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing candlesticks

Thank you for the email welcome to the group.
    I downloaded and have been trying NinjaTrader charting, initially primarily as a means of learning how to correctly interpret candlestick charting, but I have also been looking at the other available indicators within the package.
    To assist inform my learning curve in candlesticks I have been collecting minute data from YAHOO for some stocks from the LSE, FTSE100 FTSE250 indexes, One rising stock, one falling stock a sub set of one group of stocks and a number of other stocks more or less randomly selected. My reasons in this was to collect a set of data which might reflect many of the candlestick formations and patterns I am/was attempting to understand.
    In doing this I have noticed something which initially (due to my low level of knowledge both of candlesticks and NinjaTrader) presented some barriers to my understanding; That issue was missing candlesticks within charts.
    To explain, In my learning I started from the very beginning in the data collected and how candlesticks were formed, basically using minute charts to visualize that data presented in its early form. Moving on incrementally through minutes to the hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly data.
    The reproducible problem caused me was noticed mainly on the daily vizualization chart. Frequently some of the most recent days on the chart are not show, sometimes only one of those days shows and then that latest day candlestick is updated during the day as if it were the current date (although it may not be). I have checked this a number of times in a number of ways, the most recent of which is to create seperate charts as follows:-
    1 minute
    15 minute
    60 minute
    Daily
    Weekly
    Monthly
    Linking those charts together and checking the presented visual representation of the candlesticks against the data presented in the chart at the next lower level.
    What I actually did was draw the expected candelstick pattern from the earliest chart and check understanding against the next chart in the series, then sequentially move up the charts.
    A simpler method is to check the details of the latest four days or so candlesticks on the daily chart using the Data Box to identify the missing days. (Excluding weekends of course.)
    Having initially noticed the issue, I thought it may be the way the system was designed, but having looked through the help files and support forum entry on potential charting problems I find myself at a loss to find an answer. Hence this rather long explanatory post.
    I have worked through the forum entry "Charts not updating" sticky and that does not seem to identify the cause of my problem.
    At the moment the charts I am looking at which present this problem are:
    YELL.L from YAHOO on the LSE FTSE 250 - Like this shout for help. :-)
    The minute data for approx 2 months is in the historical database and an active connection to YAHOO is open. (No other connection open).
    I open NinjaTrader and then connect to Yahoo, after the workspace has opened.
    The only items open in NinjaTrader are some charts and at times the NT help (approximately 32 of them). Well within system resources according to the Task Manager, the issue still arises with only the minimal charts open as I intially thought it could be a timing/resources issue.
    The issue can be re-produced, following the steps outlined in this email.
    Closing the charts and re-creating them results in the same outcome. (Although once whilst looking at this I did end up with two unlinked daily charts for the same stock showing different candlesticks one apparently being correct. Frustratingly I was not able to reproduce the correctly presented chart.)
    I have not installed any 3rd Party Ninja Trader indicators/strategies although I do have the BuySellVolume active on the 1 and 15 min charts and the VoumeZones all the charts.
    I would much appreciate any possible assistance in identifying what, if anything I am doing wrong.

Hello NTIan,

Please note that NinjaTrader acts like a radio receiver and displays the data it receives. Be aware that only historical daily data for stocks is supported with Yahoo as per the link below.

Can you please tell me what exact data you are missing.

Does it make a difference if you right click in the chart and select 'Reload Historical Data'?

You will only be able to load historical daily data when connected to Yahoo.If you like to load historical minute data, you will need to connect to a supported connectivity provider that supports historical minute data.

As per NinjaTrader 7, our preferred market data service is Kinetick. Real time service starts as low as $50 per month or completely free if all you need is end of day data. If you trade CME Globex products, you can have these exchange fees waived if you have a qualified brokerage account. This service is only available for NinjaTrader 7. Please visit www.kinetick.com for more detailed information.

NinjaTrader 7 is still in beta, however we are in the final stages of the beta phase. You can download and install it from the link below.

I have included information below on how to obtain discounted rates and free trials from the following datafeed providers as well.
    Barchart.com (subscriptions starting at $45/monthly):

IQFeed offers a 7-day free trial for NinjaTrader users.

eSignal promotional rate for NinjaTrader clients:
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello NinjaTraderJason,
      Thank you for your response.
      I am aware that NinjaTrader only displays the data which it receives, and then (because I have the store historical data option selected, stores that received data if requested so it may be used when not connected. Please advise if I am incorrect in that.)
      Thank your for the service provider information but YAHOO does provide 15 minute delayed minute data, which is sufficient for my current purpose. (I am not fully ready to become new meat yet)
      At this time the data not showing in the daily chart (according to the Data Box) for YELL.L provided by YAHOO are the candlesticks for 24/25.11.2010. Candlesticks for 19/11/2010 22/11/201 23/11/2010 are shown.
      Right clicking on the chart and reloading historical data whilst connected to YAHOO makes no difference, either when the charts are linked or unlinked.
      Closing the chart and creating a new chart makes no difference.
      I forgot to mention previously NT6.5.100.18 is the version being used operating on WinXP with all the latest patches and maximum available RAM.
      I have downloaded NT7RC1 and intend to have a look at that further, indeed I even exported the data I had collected and imported it to NT7 to see if I could solve the problem there, but upgrading during the learning process did not seem attractive.

Comment

NinjaTraderJason,

Problem solved. Many thanks for your attention.

Yahoo.co.uk have not updated their daily data for that stock since 23/11/2010.
        And there I am pulling my hair out this end trying to make sense of why I cannot see it.

Sorry to have troubled you. I will know to check for data existing at the external supplier another time.

Comment

Yes, you are correct regarding the store historical data option.

Good to hear the issue is solved and thank you for reporting back.
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick  
          Started by RookieTrader, Today, 07:41 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes