Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free live tick by tick FX data

I'm a MT4 user and is trying NT demo.
    Would like to back test and forward test my strategy.
    What are the ways to connect to free live tick by tick FX data?

Hi johnnyebegoode,

Thank you for your post, and welcome the forum.

If you are using NinjaTrader 7 you can get free end of day data from Kinetick by going to File-->Connect-->Kinetick. As far as forex data this is the only option for free data. More information at:

If you are looking for real-time forex data you will want to get data from one of NinjaTrader's supported forex providers. More information at:

For real-time data Kinetick has been designed to be the optimal market data feed for the NinjaTrader 7 trading platform, and you can see the real-time data that is offered for forex by reviewing the following purchase options.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

Why not try a free demo (navigator platform, not MT4) at MB Trading?

I have been with them for a couple of years and am happy.
      Their Forex data is free.

You have to run a special version of Navigator...that is available from NT at the same time you run NT7.

Real time data...including tick data will download and store on your machine building up a database of real time tick data.

For historical tick data, there is about the last 6 weeks worth on MB Servers, so you'll start out with that.

Be sure to check out the MB Trading connectivity guide to get up and running smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Crassius View Post
        Hi,

Why not try a free demo (navigator platform, not MT4) at MB Trading?

I have been with them for a couple of years and am happy.
        Their Forex data is free.
        For historical tick data, there is about the last 6 weeks worth on MB Servers, so you'll start out with that..
        Crassius,

What option do you use to download the historical FX data to your charts/database in NT7 ?? I have (just) tried refreshing chart data for 3 major pairs and it doesnt go back farther than 11.11.2010 == about 3 weeks.

Jon

Comment

Hi Trader.Jon,

Thank you for your post.

In addition to increasing the number of days that you load in the chart from a right-click-->Data Series menu.

You can go to Tools-->Historical Data Manager-->Reload and reload all of the data in the Data Manager as another method.

More information on working with historical data at:

Additionally, you will want to make sure that data beyond that time exists for the chart interval you are loading, since the amount of historical data is going to depend on the provider.

Comment

Historical Tick Data seems to vary by pair

I only trade EU. I can't tell anymore how much tick data was available because I have been building a database since 10/17.... I seem to recall it was 6 weeks worth, but maybe it was only 3.

What I suggest you do is go to:

Historical Data Manager >> Download Tab >> and Highlight a single Currency in your Default group or whatever group you have them under on the left

Enter a date range....

I know there is about 5 months worth of minute data available, so you might try

start date: 06/28/2010
            End Date 12/2/2010

check Tick Minute and Day

Bid and Last are the same thing, and there is no Ask data, so pick bid or last.

Click download.

That will get you everything that is available on the server. (Day data may go back a year)

You can go over to the Edit Tab and expand the tree structure and see what the earliest date you have is.

I am hoping that as more MB Trading customers use NinjaTrader, they will make a more complete historic database available.

MT4 dominates FX and one of its many drawbacks is it doesn't work with tick data at all. I believe that so many MB customers are satisfied with minute and Day data, that Tick data gets short shrift. No customers are harping for it, so MB isn't providing much.

That's a shame because Tick data is so flexible it is what everyone should be using... you can build minute bars from tick data, but you can't deconstruct a minute bar to extract the ticks. So why not use the smallest building blocks of the data? I think it's just because so many FX traders have no experience with it because they have MT4 blinders on.

Prior to NT7, there was NO historical data available... so this is all very new. MB has a great record of responding to customer requests... I know, some of my past suggestions have been implemented... so let's hope that MB makes more Historical Tick data available.

In the meantime... whatever result set you get from the above procedure is all that is available on the server.

You can PM me your email address and I'll email you my EU database that goes back to 10/17/2010... not that big, but better than what is on the server.

The other option of course is to buy or download a large database of data... If yuou need a very large data set... back through 2008 say... Dukascopy and Gain have it available as files to download and import, or you can buy data that is packaged and clean and saves you all the trouble...

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
              Hi Trader.Jon,...
              Additionally, you will want to make sure that data beyond that time exists for the chart interval you are loading, since the amount of historical data is going to depend on the provider.
              Ryan,

I think the issue is the latter ... MB isnt providing data as far back as I would like ... I will be using the reply data for testing until I have a larger database available.

Thankyou,
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Crassius View Post
                I only trade EU. I can't tell anymore how much tick data was available because I have been building a database since 10/17.... I seem to recall it was 6 weeks worth, but maybe it was only 3. ...
                check Tick Minute and Day
                I am hoping that as more MB Trading customers use NinjaTrader, they will make a more complete historic database available.

MT4 dominates FX and one of its many drawbacks is it doesn't work with tick data at all....
                That's a shame because Tick data is so flexible it is what everyone should be using...

Prior to NT7, there was NO historical data available... so this is all very new. MB has a great record of responding to customer requests... I know, some of my past suggestions have been implemented... so let's hope that MB makes more Historical Tick data available.

You can PM me your email address and I'll email you my EU database that goes back to 10/17/2010... not that big, but better than what is on the server.

... Dukascopy and Gain have it available as files to download and import,...
                Crassius,

Thanks for your informed response. I will look at my needs and get back to you if needed.

Good tradeing!
                Jon

Comment

Hi Trader.Jon,

If the issue is the latter with MB Trading only offering a certain extent of historical data you can supplement the data from MB Trading with historical tick data that does extend about 120 days with Kinetick. More information at:

Comment

It really make business sense to just provide free FX feed and historical data. FX trader have been getting them free.

Comment

Hi johnnyebegoode,

Thank you for your post. With the Kinetick End of Day feed forex daily data is available for free. More information at: http://www.kinetick.com/end-of-day.

However, I have passed your suggestion along to development to be included on the list of possible future enhancements.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:19 PM
                      1 response
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
                      Started by Rapine Heihei, Today, 08:25 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes