Problem with Vertical Scaling in NT 7.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Vertical Scaling in NT 7.0

I'm running NT 7.0.1000.1 and I am encountering a problem with scaling the chart vertically by dragging the y-axis margin up and down using the left mouse button. The chart gets stretched out so far apart automatically that I cannot shrink it back to an acceptable spacing to view the chart. To reproduce the problem, follow these steps:
    1. Open a new chart (e.g., ES 12-10) using the OHLC chart type.
    2. Open the Data Series window and set the "Color for down bars" and the "Color for up bars" fields to "Transparent". I do not want the bars to be visible because I'm using a Market Delta type indicator and don't need to see the bars.
    3. Adjust the scaling of the chart vertically and the chart gets stretched too much all by itself.

If the bar colors are not set to "Transparent", the problem doesn't occur. This is not a problem in NT 6.5. Is there a way around this? Is this a known issue? Thanks for your help.

antonio,

Thanks for your post.

Please post an image of your chart as I'm not sure that I follow.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Kyle,

Notice how stretched out the y-axis is in the attached chart. Whenever I click on the y-axis margin to shrink it, it returns to the way it's displayed in the chart. Try and follow the steps I provided in my first post to reproduce the problem. Just make sure that the bars are made transparent in the Data Series window. Hope this clarifies the issue. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ES-Stretch.GIF
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	860301

Comment

antonio,

Please click the 'F' button in the upper right side of the chart to return the chart to automatic scaling. What's occurred here is that a very small fixed range has been defined, resulting in a somewhat skewed display.

Comment

Kyle,

Changing it back to automatic scaling doesn't fix the problem. Even if it did, I need to use fixed scaling so that I can fit my indicator in the viewable chart area. NT 6.5 is working fine. Why does this problem only occur when the price bars are transparent? Thanks.

Comment

antonio,

In that case, I don't understand what issue you're trying to show me. I had thought that your issue was that the axis plotted the price values too far away for your liking.

If this is incorrect, please clarify what the issue is. If video or image examples would help you to explain, please provide them.

Comment

Wow Kyle, you're not making this easy for me.

Did you try to reproduce the problem as described in my first post? The problem should be pretty evident once you do.

If not, I'll try to put together more detailed instructions. Thanks.

Comment

antonio,

I have followed your steps, but aside from what we've discussed so far, I didn't notice anything out of place.

So that I don't need to guess at the issue, please provide as detailed an explanation of the issue as is possible.

Comment

To reproduce the problem:
                  • Open a new chart and set the "Chart Style" parameters as shown in the figure below.

Name:	DataSeries.GIF
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	860311
                  • The chart is opened as shown below. Notice that the y-axis margin is too stretched out. This occurred by itself when the chart was opened. In addition, the viewable price range starts at 0 for the ES.

Name:	InitialChart-TooStretched.GIF
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	860312
                  • Now, try to get the y-axis spacing correctly so that the spacing between each price level is closer together. With one mouse drag down, the closest I can get the prices are as shown below.

Name:	FirstDrag.GIF
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	860313
                  • Since the prices are still too far apart, I attempt to bring them closer together with another mouse drag down on the y-axis. However, the moment another mouse drag is attempted, the spacing reverts back to the way it was when the chart was first opened. So I can never get the prices reasonably spaced.

I want to use invisible price bars because eventually I am going to apply a Market Delta indicator. This problem does not occur in NT 6.5.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi antonio,

Thanks for this - I think I've got a better idea of what you're seeing.

Is there an indicator applied to this chart?

Comment

No indicator was applied to the chart.

Comment

antonio,

If there's no data series on the chart to plot, then this would be the expected result with the scale.

What happens with your indicator applied?

Comment

The same thing occurs even if I apply my indicator. This was working in NT 6.5. There should be a lot of indicators out there that want to make price bars invisible, such as Market Delta and Market Profile. I think this is breakage in NT 7.0.

Comment

antonio,

Please apply a standard indicator like SMA to the chart.

1.) Does this indicator plot?

2.) Does the scale of the chart modify itself as SMA is applied?

Comment

Yes, it does, but I think that SMA works differently than an indicator that only uses DrawLine() and DrawText().

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by gentlebenthebear, Today, 01:30 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post gentlebenthebear  
                              Started by samish18, Yesterday, 08:31 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes