Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

how to create volume charts? tick charts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to create volume charts? tick charts?

I know you folks are proud of Ninja 7, but there's at least one feature that seems to have been missed. On a Ninja 6.5 chart, you'd see in the upper left the dropdown box for the instrument (ES, NQ, whatever) and the dropdown box for the interval (minute, volume, tick, etc.) next to it. On the new and not-so improved Ninja 7, the options for volume, tick, range, seconds, etc. are missing, and the only options are time-based charts. I also notice that the "format data series" option is missing. I see that I can right click on the chart, then left click on "data series", then left click on "type" then left click on the dropdown arrow, then left click on volume (or tick, or whatever), then change the value if I wish, then left click on "Apply"...you see where I'm going with this? This requires MANY more steps than the old way in Ninja 6.5. If you bothered to put the options of minutes, days, weeks, etc. into the dropdown box on the chart, then why not add "volume", "tick" etc to the dropdown box on the chart? Why in the world would you keep the time-based intervals on that dropdown box and remove the other options? This makes no sense, and it is significantly more cumbersome than the old system. Please fix.

Hello Tasuki,

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward your comments on to development for further consideration.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Significantly more cumbersome...YES

Originally posted by Tasuki View Post
      I know you folks are proud of Ninja 7, but there's at least one feature that seems to have been missed. On a Ninja 6.5 chart, you'd see in the upper left the dropdown box for the instrument (ES, NQ, whatever) and the dropdown box for the interval (minute, volume, tick, etc.) next to it. On the new and not-so improved Ninja 7, the options for volume, tick, range, seconds, etc. are missing, and the only options are time-based charts. I also notice that the "format data series" option is missing. I see that I can right click on the chart, then left click on "data series", then left click on "type" then left click on the dropdown arrow, then left click on volume (or tick, or whatever), then change the value if I wish, then left click on "Apply"...you see where I'm going with this? This requires MANY more steps than the old way in Ninja 6.5. If you bothered to put the options of minutes, days, weeks, etc. into the dropdown box on the chart, then why not add "volume", "tick" etc to the dropdown box on the chart? Why in the world would you keep the time-based intervals on that dropdown box and remove the other options? This makes no sense, and it is significantly more cumbersome than the old system. Please fix.
      Indeed, I am experiencing the same frustration as Tasuki. I trade tick charts exclusively and my method requires me to change between various tick intervals of the same future instrument and the additional steps render my trading system severely crippled because I cannot change intervals fast enough before the trade is over. I am required to open a new chart instead.

I will be using v. 6.5 until ticks are made available as a choice under the drop down along with minute, hourly & daily intervals etc.

I don't understand the radical changes in software layout especially when they are for the worse; not an improvement in my opinion. Please make these available in v. 7 of Ninja or I will be forced to find other charting software alternatives.

Comment

Hello chilipipper,

I will forward your comments to development as well. Thank you for your feedback.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I also can't believe that you can't switch easily--what's the point of paying so much money for this software if this basic functionality is missing? I will seriously reconsider buying NT if this remains this way.

Comment

Hello

In the mean time you can also check out the new keyboard shortcuts available in NinjaTrader 7 charts. Check out the section entitled “How to change a Data Series” at this link:
            ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chip, this was very helpful--thank you! Sometimes when I switch, say from 180M to 1D to 60M, the number of bars will change all the way back down to 3 days worth when I had previously requested 250 days or 250 bars, whichever may be the case. How do I prevent this?

Also, how do I change the default session template when I make a new chart from "use instrument settings" to something else?

Comment

Hello JoshDance,

You will need to set the days to load for a Minute period type. Please open the Data Series menu and set 'Period type' to Minute. Change the 'Days back' setting to your liking.

Subsequently right click in the Data Series menu and select 'Set Default For Minute Period Type'. When switching period types the way you describe, it should not change the days back anymore.

In addition, please go to Control Center-->Tools-->Instrument Manager, highight the instrument in question and click Edit. You can now view what session template is used.

Subsequently go to Control Center-->Tools-->Session Manager. You can now see what times are used by the session template.
                JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason, this was very helpful--thank you!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Mestor, 03-10-2023, 01:50 AM
                  16 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post z.franck  
                  Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
                  4 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post rtwave