Compile speeds slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compile speeds slow

If I don't have a Strategy Analyzer window open, compiling a strategy goes pretty fast. However, when I have the Strat Analyzer window open (practically always), it can take 30 seconds or more to compile.

Why is that? Can this be sped up somehow?

Hello lookOutBelow,

Please be aware that all NinjaScript files will be compiled if you compile a strategy or indicator.

I tested it on my end with and without a Strategy Analyzer, but I did not experience a difference. Both attempts finished after about 7 seconds. Please note that I did not have any 3rd party indicators present and about 30 custom indicators from our forum.

Do you always notice a difference? Could it be the Strategy Analyzer is running a backtest or optimization when you compile your NinjaScript files? When I compiled my NinjaScript files while running a backtest, it took a little more time (8 - 9 seconds)

If the issue remains, I suggest to close any Strategy Analyzer window upon compiling your NinjaScript files. I see no other way to speed up the process.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

No, I'm not running any backtests while compiling. And yes, there is always a noticeable difference when it is open and when it is not.

I compile so often, it is a pain to close/reopen the Analyzer window. Perhaps I'll go through and delete any indicators/strategies that I'm not currently using.

Comment

Sounds good, removing NinjaScript should result in less 'compiling time' as well, since less NinjaScript files need to be compiled.

Comment

My compile time with SA open - 25 sec.
          With SA closed - 2 sec.

Comment

Those are similar to my results too.

Very frustrating when you are trying to make a quick change and then run the results.

Comment

Same problem here. SA really slows compiling.
              Last edited by rightcoast; 12-28-2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately I still do not notice such a difference on my end. Could you please tell me what exact steps you perform when you notice the difference. I compile my NinjaScript files by opening an indicator via Control Center-->Tools-->Edit NinjaScript-->Indicator. Subsequently I hit F5 to compile all NinjaScript files while I have a Strategy Analyzer window opened.

Comment

Today I notice that anytime I open a strategy analyzer (ie Just 1 open) NT locks up for 20-30 seconds before it works.

As for your orignal question. I am using the strategy builder (ie locked code) clicking next when completed. If SA is open in backround then it will take 20-30 secs. to compile. If I remove SA from backround then it compiles quickly 3 secs. However when I reopen SA It locks up like I just mentioned in my first sentence.

Comment

Hello rightcoast,

How many automated NinjaScript strategies do you have present in NinjaTrader? I do not experience the lock up when I open a Strategy Analyzer window.

I did not notice a difference when compiling NinjaScript files that way either.

Comment

187 strategies in NT7.

Comment

I see, this is likely related to the lock ups you experience. The loading time and lock up should reduce if you have less strategies.

I will forward all findings to development to improve NinjaTrader in this regard.

Comment

Hi Jason,

Just so you know, this has only recently become an issue. NT6.5 I know I had >200 strategies. And for NT 7 I have steadly increased as I have migrated over, so NT7 had been compiling with/without SA for many months(4-5) up unitl now and with >150 strategies . Hopefully this helps.

Comment

What strategies did you import just before you started to experience the issue?

Do you notice a difference if you remove these strategies?

Comment

Nothing has been imported in many months, anything added during that time period has been newly created within the platform.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by funk10101, Today, 09:43 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post funk10101  
                              Started by pkefal, 04-11-2024, 07:39 AM
                              11 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post jeronymite