X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nglory
    replied
    *** I learned how to fix this:

This error came out of nowhere and I was using dual connections with some advanced multi-instrument indicators and a complex workspace. The next thing I know I can't load basic windows at all. Simple non-indicator windows came up as "Loading data..." and would sit there indefinitely.

I created a blank workspace, set that as default, reloaded the platform and it was still jammed. Something caught my attention though... a blank workspace with NO WINDOWS OPEN AT START UP was showing "Loading blah..." entries at the bottom of the platform like it was still trying to load things in from my previous workspaces.

*** The actual fix:

- Make sure NT is turned off / not-running.

- Go into your Documents->Ninjatrader 7>workspaces folder.

- Move ALL of the files here to anywhere else (I chose a dummy sub-folder).

- Start NT.

- Manually loading fresh charts should now work.

*** What I suspect is the underlying problem:

I notice the _Workspaces.xml file has references to some of my advanced indicators that I was using. It more or less looks like some sort of corruption of this primary workspace file that causes NT to load things at start up that aren't related to the workspace you're actually in.

I'm not sure if it's that alone but I did see some references here to indicators setting off the problem. So I thought I would chime in that the corruption of the workspaces is/was exacerbating the issue at the very least.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_ChelseaB
    replied
    Hi dline,

If you are certain that the download and loading of charts is faster with AVG disabled, I recommend that you add the NinjaTrader folders in the following locations to the exclusion list for AVG.

C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\
    (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\

Leave a comment:

• dline
    replied
    Hi Guys,
    I too have the loading forever situation sometimes they do some times they don't ... they only load after disableing AVG.
    May I have a step by step method of what to try to fix this
    Thank you
    Last edited by dline; 11-10-2014, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gringa
    replied
    Hi Chelsea,

Thanks for the very quick reply and the great questions. I am using a proprietary indicator for columns for multiple timeframes in the market analyzer, along with some standard columns (bidprice, askprice, lastprice). I've attached a screen shot.

I disconnected and was able to load the workspace in question. One thing I did notice when researching your questions is that I had forgotten to enter the vendor's order number in the indicator setup parameters for the market analyzer, so I entered that for each related column. I then closed and reopened Ninja, and this time the workspace loaded just fine, so I wonder if my mistake of having forgotten that order number caused my data issues....

At any rate, since the workspace is now loading I'm unable to answer your remaining questions. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know, and thanks again.

UPDATE on May 8th 2014:

Again had data loading issue today when first launching NinjaTrader, so after a lot of messing around with the problematic workspace I was able to disconnect from my data feed, open the workspace and remove the indicator columns, and save the workspace as a new file. When I restarted NinjaTrader the workspace opened without the indicator columns in Market Analyzer.
    Last edited by gringa; 05-08-2014, 10:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_ChelseaB
    replied
    Hi gringa,

Thanks for your note.

What indicator columns do you have in the Market Analyzer in the ncat VolBreakout workspace?

Are you able to open the workspace if you are not connected to a data feed?

If you can open the workspace when disconnected, try removing the indicator columns. Then save the workspace as a copy (File -> Workspaces -> Save workspace as...). Then restart NinjaTrader and connect and load the workspace.

Does the workspace open without those indicator columns?

Leave a comment:

• gringa
    replied
    Work-around for hanging while loading data

Recently I ran into an issue with NinjaTrader hanging while trying to load data every time I launched the application. I tried deleting the cache, day, minute and tick database folders, but that did not solve the issue. I also tried resetting the instruments per the directions of tech support, but that had no effect either.

Fortunately, I was able to find a work around on my own, which leads me to believe that the .xml file for the workspace may be at fault. This makes sense, as xml files store data and formats, and are essentially databases.

Here's what I did: I moved the .xml file for the workspace that kept hanging (ncat VolBreakout.xml) from the 'workspaces' folder to another location. I then relaunched NinjaTrader. The Control Center showed the old workspace name, but did not hang because there was no data to load since the .xml file was no longer there. I was then able to open a different workspace, and it loaded the associated data without incident. I used NinjaTrader all day, then closed and reopened it; the latest workspace reloaded without any errors.

To further test my .xml theory, I closed Ninja, moved the original (problematic)workspace .xml file (ncat VolBreakout.xml) back to the workspace folder, relaunched Ninja, selected that workspace, and the program again hung while loading data. I left it open for several hours and it was still hung when I came back. I again closed Ninja, removed ncat VolBreakout.xml from the workspace folder, reopened Ninja, and was able to select a different workspace, which loaded without problems.

Because I have seen other posts question whether Market Analyzer could be a factor, I should mention that the problematic workspace did have a market analyzer window. I am running NinjaTrader 64-bit 7.0.1000.14.

Since the ncat VolBreakout.xml file won't load, I've recreated the workspace under a new name (without Markek Analyzer) and all is well.

Leave a comment:

• molecool
    replied
    This was promised for NT7 and you guys still don't get it. We don't want new features - at least most of us don't - what we need is a more stable platform. I would like to go for one month without having to either replace or reindex (i.e. fix) the database. How about putting that on top of your 'features' list? ;-)

Just saying...

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
    Hello,
    Finally, we already have this on our list molecool to increase performance. We are looking at great features to do this in our next major release of the software which unfortunately however is still sometime down the road.

-Brett

Leave a comment:

• molecool
    replied
    That is actually rather difficult to do. The 'worst' you can do is to load a bunch of instruments manually in your strategy/indicator and assign them to different time series. And even then NT should handle them well in memory - after all, MC does.

I don't think that anyone complaining about this uses anything crazy or performs complex calculations on each candle that would quite obviously bring NT to its knees. But given today's memory capacity and processing power available I need to maintain that NT is the slowest among all the systems I have tested. That and the constant data corruption issues are an ongoing battle.

Hello,

I suspect some custom third party indicator would cause issue here that is coded in a non CPU friendly way.

-Brett

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_Brett
    replied
    Hello,

I would need a reproducible scenario on my side with any default NT indicator causes a long load time.

The default indicators do not bring my NinjaTrader to a halt with the described scenario.

I suspect some custom third party indicator would cause issue here that is coded in a non CPU friendly way.

Finally, we already have this on our list molecool to increase performance. We are looking at great features to do this in our next major release of the software which unfortunately however is still sometime down the road.

-Brett

Leave a comment:

• EddyEd
    replied
    You are right,
    it seems that the problem are loaded indicators, even that they are simple sma or ema. If I load the chart without indicators it loads the data fast, but with a few indicators it goes into its knees.
    Even in trading it cannot be that if you change the data interval of your chart, that the aplication hangs a long time. In this time you can loose a lot of money without it isn't the fault by yourself!!!
    Thats critical

Leave a comment:

• molecool
    replied
    If you listened: Eddy already mentioned that he's using an MA on his chart. And quite frankly I have experienced the very same behavior with very simple setups. Fact is that MC kicks NT's ass when it comes to speed and reliability. Painting bars or indicators should be a matter of seconds - not minutes.

Quite obviously there is an underlying problem you guys have refused to acknowledge and/or fix for years now. Every time someone complains it gets ignored or rationalized in the very fashion you have done below. Having been a SWE myself for almost 20 years I advise you to start listening to your customers.

Look - trading is a constant arms race. And if anything but a simple MA or RSI indicator brings NT to its knees then you are going to lose everyone but the most simplistic retail traders. I have coded in NT now for several years and have learned to work around its limitations. The only reason I have stuck with it is because of me liking C# and that much of my stuff would have to be re-implemented. If there was a competitor on the horizon that offers C# integration and NT compatibility I would switch in a heartbeat due to constant data corruption and stability issues. I had hoped that NT7 would fix that but you guys failed at providing a more stable platform. Every other time I launch NT I have to go and clean the database (a scary feature in itself if you think about it). MC doesn't need that - it simply loads data and keeps it properly indexed.

My 2 cents - take it or ignore it.

Hello,

The data is the same no matter what time frame chart you load for input. All tick charts use tick data.

Therefor it is not the data load that is causing problems most likely in this case.

What most likely is going on is that the lower granularity you have the more bars there are to load in the chart. When you load a chart indicators need to calculate on all the bars on the chart from the chart. Since there are more bars indicators take longer to calculate.

What indicators do you have applied to a chart?

If you open a new chart with no Indicators and switch charts do you see the same long load time on switching granularity?

-Brett

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_Brett
    replied
    Hello,

The data is the same no matter what time frame chart you load for input. All tick charts use tick data.

Therefor it is not the data load that is causing problems most likely in this case.

What most likely is going on is that the lower granularity you have the more bars there are to load in the chart. When you load a chart indicators need to calculate on all the bars on the chart from the chart. Since there are more bars indicators take longer to calculate.

What indicators do you have applied to a chart?

If you open a new chart with no Indicators and switch charts do you see the same long load time on switching granularity?

-Brett

Leave a comment:

• EddyEd
    replied
    Application is hanging by using tick Charts with simple stocks. It is very curious. If I choose for example a resolution of 200 Ticks, the application needs for reload 3-5 seconds. If I choose 100 Ticks, approx. 10 sec. If I select 10 Ticks, it needs roundabout 1-2 Min. If I choose 3 Ticks, 5Minitues and if I choose 1 Tick, at minimum 10 Minutes. During this time the NT is Hanging.
    I use the Kineteck Datafeed.
    This cannot be?
    The same procedure with Multichart 7: 1 Tick = 3 Seconds!!!

Add: If I change an Indicator, for example the Moving Average, the aplication is also Hanging the whole time as I explained before
    Last edited by EddyEd; 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• molecool
    replied
    Yeah, this is still broken. It's been several years now and NinjaTrader remains unable to release a stable version that loads your data without intermittent data corruptions or hang ups. Ridiculous...

Leave a comment:

• NinjaTrader_Brett
    replied
    Hello,

Thanks for that information and taking the time to post, I will forward it to development. As always if you run into a reproducible scenario please email into support intsead of this tread will allow us to hash down and go into specifics of your setup and diagnose from there as well if your willing to do so. I would love to get development a reproducible scenario for this so that we can continue to better the software.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
166 responses
0 likes
Last Post sidlercom80  
Started by thread, Yesterday, 11:58 PM
0 responses
1 view