... no parameters to optimize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... no parameters to optimize

After I had run the Optimization a couple of times on a strategy, I started getting a message that there were no optimization results since the strategy had no parameters to optimize, see attachment. I have also attached a screen capture of the parameters.
    Attached Files

Hello ThatManFromTexas,

Can you please let us know which version of NinjaTrader you're running? Click Help > About to check this.

If you can attach the strategy you're running, we can try on our side to help explain what you're seeing.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Version attached. I found a work-a-round. After it locks up a couple of times, I reboot the computer and it starts working again.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ThatManFromTexas View Post
        After I had run the Optimization a couple of times on a strategy, I started getting a message that there were no optimization results since the strategy had no parameters to optimize,.
        I have seen that when I have 'gone over limit' using the PH Genetic optimizer, and I guess it affects other optimizers also ... my solution was to pare down the parameters I am optimizing, either by range or not optimizing certain variables at all.

YMMV,
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Trader.Jon View Post
          I have seen that when I have 'gone over limit' using the PH Genetic optimizer, and I guess it affects other optimizers also ... my solution was to pare down the parameters I am optimizing, either by range or not optimizing certain variables at all.

YMMV,
          Jon
          Thanks for your input.

Have you had any problems with the program "locking up", shutting down or whatever the appropriate terminology is, after running the optimizer?

Comment

I have had those type of situations (lockups/ NT never resolving itself out of 'busy', etc) with heavy duty optimizations. More so on a desktop with only 8gb ram ... it is beneficial to restart after heavy use, but I have had it happen on the first optimization run I was doing.

I have a 64gb ram system that I try to run all my optimizations on, as I find the large ram VERY helpful (lessens lockups etc) ... I plan to eventually get a duplicate motherboard to see if 32gb is a 'sweet spot' for optimizations: if so, then I'll have another system to torture.

Jon

Comment

I am running into this same problem. Is there a limit on the # of optimizable variables or the # of combinations for genetic optimization?

Comment

neb1998,

The limit is soft, based on your memory. You can definitely create optimization situations in NinjaTrader that will run into this limit. You recently started a thread on this and then reported it was all OK. If you continue to see issues, can you please re-open your thread and we will look at what is happening in your individual case.

Comment

I'm getting this error, too. Reboot is NEVER an acceptable option.

I had no idea that 6gb is not enough (I am running NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.3 on 64 bit Win 7.
                  I don't understand why this is the case. The working set is less than 300MB.

Comment

Ryan is there a manual over ride for this? I can mitigate the memory problems with gen size and population size when my increments are small or i am optimizing many variables.

I am going to be programming a system soon that i will need over 60+ inputs on and the increments will be low on some and high on others. Even when i run optimizations that give me this error (by backing down the # of combinations some) i rarely run into memory issues. One solution is using a dual core box, it uses about 1/2 the memory as my i7 boxes....hence 1/2 the cores.

Point being, let me suffer the consequences of memory errors

Comment

Hello Brewdog,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

Can you please clarify what message you're getting and if it's something you can see when attempting to optimize SampleMaCrossover?

neb1998:
                      There's no way to turn off handling of memory limits, as it's imposed by the operating system/ hardware. Are you cleaning up any custom resources in OnTermination()? This is processed for every test so you may have some opportunity for clean up.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                      4 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post DynamicTest  
                      Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                      4 responses
                      0 likes