Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Is downloaded market data from NT server at tick level just like recorded MR data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is downloaded market data from NT server at tick level just like recorded MR data?

From what I understand, if I record my own data for Market Replay it will record on a tick level and I can use the Market Replay data later on to test strategies that place trades based on ticks.

What about the Market Replay data downloaded from the NT server, is that at a tick level?

Hi Trankuility,

Thank you for your post.

Market Replay works if you have downloaded or recorded market replay data.
    Please click here for detailed instructions on downloading and recording market replay data

Now, it is true that Market Replay will record tick data if you are receiving that data real-time through a SuperDOM, Chart or Market Analyzer if Market Replay data is set to record.

Additionally, the data available for download through NinjaTrader 7 would also include tick data and level 2 data, but it may not be available for all instruments since the data that is available for download is the most commonly traded instruments, but if you try to download data that is unavailable you would receive a message.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ok, thank you.

Comment

I have a related line of questions:

1. I would first like to establish what market replay is doing compared to the flawed NT backtesting. Unlike NT backtesting, is market replay a true tick-by-tick replay of market data?

The NT backtesting logic tends to smooth historic data resulting in a false, favorable bias. ( I don't know what causes this, but I assume the backtesting logic 'bundles' the tick data as an efficiency short cut in a way that removes the per tick time stamp and prevents the backtesting logic from correctly timing OHLC in bar charts and completely renders tick based charts unusable??) Anyway, can you provide an explanation as to whether the market replay is subject to this same artificial smoothing or any other mechanics that would render the market replay as artificial?

In other words, if I record a live session on market replay, will the resulting chart created by replay theoretically be the same as the chart created live? (setting aside any problems from data feeds, start point/sync problems in comparing charts etc.)

2. If so, will available market replay data downloaded from NT provide the same tick-by-tick playback accuracy as user-recorded data? (again, setting aside any discrepancies in data providers, feed quality, etc.)

thanks.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post DJ888
        by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
        0 responses