Unable to subscribe to market data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to subscribe to market data

I am now using NT7 exclusively. I also use Interactive Brokers. I reconfigured the system this weekend.

I am now getting this message from NT

Unable to subscribe to market data: Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manager ERX Default.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello

Thank you for your note.

If a symbol isn’t already available in NinjaTrader, you can add it manually. Please see the following details.

Here is the complete detail for Setting up & Editing instruments in the Instrument Manager:

For adding symbols to the NinjaTrader ‘default’ list, please do the following:
    1. Select the list you wish to add an instrument to
    2. Select a master instrument in the instrument grid
    3. Depending on the instrument type, parameter drop down lists will become enabled. In the above example, the ES futures contract is selected which prompts you to enter the Exchange and Expiry parameters.
    4. Press the left arrow button.

Here is the reference link for adding & removing from an instrument list:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

very disappointing

I am facing the same problem too. The solution is impractical. How can I predict which stock symbol or instrument has this particular issue. During trading session, tens of stock symbols are called up. Then when you are hit with that dreaded error message, it is like stepping on a landmine . As a day trader, every second is vital. Doing the steps to call up one stock symbol may cause missed opportunities. My purpose of using NinjaTrader is for faster and easier execution not for fixing issues. I hope NinjaTrader find the right and practical solution soon. I am considering to cancel my lease because of this issue.

Comment

Hi Asterix,

Thanks for your post.

I can understand your frustration, but it's just not possible for us to preconfigure every instrument within the NinjaTrader instrument manager. That said, I will forward this feedback on to my superiors for further consideration.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The Solution

NinjaTrader should create a default instrument for stock traders which includes all NYSE and Nasdaq symbols in it. Now I found that NT is unusable in real life trading. I don't know how other traders go through this issue. And amazingly NT developers has no practical solution for this big problem. I was wondering original thread poster rtj4201 resolved the problem or still using NT for trading. If only NT version 7 has this issue NT should recommend stock traders to use older version. I don't know older versions have this problem since I am a new user.
          Last edited by Asterix; 08-04-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Amen to this thread. How in the heck can you be an active trader when you have to go through 10 steps just to get the stock onto a chart or in an entry window? As the previous writer said, you have no idea which stock you will be trading on a given day. Other platforms don't have this limitation, nor some of the other limitations such as being unable to resize a window...you are giving people who enjoy using your platform every reason to leave it for a competitor's product where one doesn't have to deal with these issues.

Comment

Hello,

This is true for undefined stocks in the NinjaTrader platform they would have to be setup first with exchange selected prior to trying to pull up the data. Development is aware of this limitation and looking into this for our next major release however this is still sometime down the road unfortunately.

-Brett

Comment

I use AmiBroker now and was considering migrating to NT because of Chart Trader until I too came across this problem. My bread and butter is made on gaps at the open and fast breakouts that require split second timing with the aid of Level II and Nasdaq Total View.

Asking us to fork over $1000 for a product that requires me to go through 10 steps and guess which exchanges to check off while tying to trade Real Time markets is unacceptable.

NT should at least be able to read Level II from the IB data feed.

I will play with the simulator but until this problem is solved I won't purchase.
                Last edited by gapmeister; 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

-Brett

Comment

Ok I came uo with a work around for now since I only trade a basket of about 250 stocks that fit my parameters.

After experimenting and then comparing NinaTrader to IB Level II I notice that Ninja Trader does not display all the levels that IB does.

For instance right now I'm looking at EXPE

IB shows 7 levels @ 34.10 but Ninja Trader only shows 1 why?

With incoming IB data NinjaTrader should be able to read the same levels No?

Comment

Hello,

Is this a special level 2 data book subscription from IB you need to get this data?

-Brett

Comment

Yes, I subscribe to their nasdaq total view. I use IQFeed for my primary RT data, would I be better off subscribing to their Nadaq total view book? Or is NT not able to read the incoming data to these books?

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the clarification.

NinjaTrader can only receive level 2 data that is broadcast from the provider on the instrument feed that we receive data on.

This nasdaq total view must be a different feed if you do not get data for it.

Unfortunately there would not be any custom setting in NinjaTrader you could use to get data for this separate nasdaq total view at this time.

I will send the request into development.

As for your question on IQFeed, you can do this you would just need to make sure that level 2 data is enabled on the instruments you are planning to trade. Level 2 data is what NinjaTrader has access too.

-Brett

Comment

Brett,

Thanks for looking in to this. Using IB Nasdaq open view all the levels are the same except for the top tier which I find strange.

NT is reading somthing from IB feed because if I do not have the IB conection in addition to the IQFeed conection there is no Level 2 data. As soon as I connect to IB Level 2 begins streaming, again I find this strange as NT is reading the stream but not the top level??

Comment

Hello,

Correct we would only display the level 2 provided by the provider. Since the Total View subscription is not the same as your standard level 2 service with IB its an expanded service.

-Brett

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by kaywai, Today, 06:26 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post kaywai
                              by kaywai

Started by ct, 05-07-2023, 12:31 PM
                              6 responses