• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to "assign exchanges"?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Chip View Post
    Hello

Thank you for your note.

If a symbol isn’t already available in NinjaTrader, you can add it manually. Please see the following details.

Here is the complete detail for Setting up & Editing instruments in the Instrument Manager:

For adding symbols to the NinjaTrader ‘default’ list, please do the following:
    1. Select the list you wish to add an instrument to
    2. Select a master instrument in the instrument grid
    3. Depending on the instrument type, parameter drop down lists will become enabled. In the above example, the ES futures contract is selected which prompts you to enter the Exchange and Expiry parameters.
    4. Press the left arrow button.

Here is the reference link for adding & removing from an instrument list:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    This answer does not really address the question.
    The error message requires the user to "assign an additional exchange to this instrument" but the users simply do not have the time to enter the exchanges for thousands of instruments.

The real question is: how can we add in NinjaTrader all of the exchanges that we can access in InteractiveBrokers? Please do not require me to add the exchanges for each instrument individually because this would take 100 years. I need to add the list of exchanges once and make them available to all of the instruments.

Also I looked up the link you provided to the helpGuides but there is absolutely nothing in the helpGuides on assigning exchanges. Please do not avoid the question again by referring to documentation that does not exist.

Comment

Hello geekgeek2013,

Unfortunately it is not supported to add exchanges in NinjaTrader. You can find all supported exchanges as follows. Go to Control Center-->Tools-->Instrument Manager, highlight any instrument and click Edit. You will see all exchanges on the right side.

If you experience the error "assign an additional exchange to this instrument", you will need to assign an additional exchange in the Instrument Manager. Likely just the Default exchange is enabled, however you will need to enable the exchange the stock trades on as well.

Once you enabled both exchanges, please make sure Exchange is set to the exchange where the stock trades and click the arrow pointing to the left. Click OK in the Instrument Manager.

Select the instrument from your instrument list and the error should not persist.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
        Hello,

This is true for undefined stocks in the NinjaTrader platform they would have to be setup first with exchange selected prior to trying to pull up the data. Development is aware of this limitation and looking into this for our next major release however this is still sometime down the road unfortunately.

-Brett
        Does this limitation still exist? Or do I still have to manually enter the exchange for all the stocks (not feasible)?

Comment

Hello ph000,

You will need to select the exchange in NinjaTrader that is listed for the instrument in TWS to receive data or trade an instrument through Interactive Brokers in NinjaTrader.
          Christopher S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Any update???

Has there been any update to this issue? I have not been using NT partially because of this headache.

Or, if NT can supply us with updated list of instruments every so often, it could be a practical workaround. Is there any plans for that?

Comment

Hello,

This limitation remains in effect. We do include additional instruments in nearly ever update to NinjaTrader however if you find an instrument which is not already a part of the software it will need to be manually added at this time.

If other questions come up which I could assist you with please let me know.
              KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I see I'm not the only one..

Hello,
                NT appears to come with the NASDAQ 100. So all those symbols wouldn't have to be Inputted again. There should be some way to import the exchange and all their listings. I guess I'm lucky as I have to input 20+ quotes. But impractical for most users..

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                2 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post WHICKED
                by WHICKED

Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                15 responses
                0 likes