Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw Down in terms of cash, not percentage

I'm using NT7

Is there a way in Strategy Analyzer to view draw down equity graphs in terms of cash, instead of % of instrument price? Trading futures, it doesn't do me any good to know that my draw down, for example, was down 0.8% of the ES instrument, I want to see how much money I would have lost in a losing streak and help determine risk of ruin. Tracking draw down in terms of % just doesn't seem very useful. Currently, to do this, I look at the daily profit chart and look for consecutive losses and sum up the losses to see what my total draw down there would have been. Or, I export the trades into Excel and compute my total equity curve in terms of dollars, not %.

Also, what is the % of draw down based on? The opening price of the instrument at the beginning of the session? Or the price the trade was executed at?

I guess if you had to track draw down in terms of percent I could see it being useful to track draw down in terms of percent of my portfolio, not percent of instrument price. So if I want to see "I don't want to risk more than 2% of my account on a single trade" it'd be interesting to see where I suffer 10-20% draw down of my account.

Another question: are you computing draw down in terms of peak to trough? Or draw down from initial account equity?

Also, it would be nice to specify in a backtest an initial account balance. Also, to specify a certain number of contracts I would trade per account equity (e.g., $10,000 per contract, so if my balance hits $30K I want to ramp up to 3 contracts). I guess I can add all of this as parameters and calculate it all myself, but it would be nice to have some of that baked into NT.

Hello shodson,

You can set the Strategy Analyzer to plot values in Currency - Points - Percentage. It is located in the toolbar of the Strategy Analyzer. Please set it to Currency and Draw Down will be reflected in currency.

Please see the link below for definitions of various statistics.

Drawdown = local maximum account size – local minimum account size

In addition, I will forward the suggestions in your last paragraph to Development to put it on the list of future considerations of the software.

Thank you for your feedback.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Oh wow, thanks! Changing that drop down box from "Percent" to "Currency" was just what I was looking for. Thanks!

And thanks for considering my other suggestions.

Last edited by shodson; 12-23-2010, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
      10 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
      Started by DayTradingDEMON, Today, 09:28 AM
      4 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post DayTradingDEMON