Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Downloads

Any updates concerning this issue?

About 75% of my data downloads end up like this.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sad Planet I'm getting much better results with the most current NT update.

Happens far less often and there's a lot less problems with range bars and such.

Update to the latest.

Comment

Originally posted by Poocher View Post
        Sad Planet I'm getting much better results with the most current NT update.

Happens far less often and there's a lot less problems with range bars and such.

Update to the latest.
        I'm on the latest: 7.0.1000.4

Comment

Sad Planet,

As the other user mentioned, this should be all worked out in 7.0.1000.4.

Could you please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with 'ATTN: Kyle' in the subject so that I may further investigate?

In the message, include the following:

1.) A link to this thread.

2.) Your most current trace file.
          You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
          Today's trace file will be named 'trace.20110420.txt'.
          KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Work around that has been successful for me numerous times

The server side failure you are getting is a generic message that doesn't necessarily say anything usefull about how to clear the problem.

I have found that this error can be cleared by getting the local database back to only full hours worth of data and deleting any partial hours that may be in the database....

First disconnect from MB to stop it downloading any ticks.

Open up the Historical Data Manager, open the Edit tab and look at the data hour by hour... (each hour of each day has a seperate folder). Delete all hours working backward until you get a DB that has nothing but full hours. You want to get rid of any hours that are only partially filled... you want to keep only hours that have ticks from, for example, 1:00:XX to 1:59:XX.

With Get Data From Server checked, but (This is important!) also with NinjaTrader in a condition such that when it reconnects to MB, it will not start to download data. That means no open tick charts, for example. If you were to reconnect now, with Get Data From Server Checked and a tick chart open, NinjaTrader will try to backfill the open chart as soon as the connection is made. You don't want it to do that. Be sure and read and understand thoroughly the sections under Help >> Operations >> Data Grids >> Historical & Real-Time Data. Especially the sub-section When Does NinjaTrader Load Historical Data?

Reconnect to MB.

Then use the Download tab to manually down load the data you are missing up to the current time. You do this by going to

Historical Data Manager >> Download Tab

Select the instrument

Set End Date to Today's date.

Set Start Date to Today's date, or however many days you have to go back to get one with no partially filled hours.

Set interval to Tick and Data Type to Last

Click Download Button

When it finishes downloading, (you can tell in the progress bar of Control Center) you currently have a database with no partially filled hours, so immediately open a tick chart so NT will continue adding ticks to the DB.

That's my procedure, small variations may work as well, as long as they get the local database back to a condition of only hours with full ticks.

That has always cleared the problem for me... I trade everyday with rare exception, so I always have partial hour problem. The partial hours will be found in the last two or three hourly sub-folders.

It seems logical that if this doesn't clear it for you, try using the same logic to delete files working backward till you have only completely filled days, then manually download to today's date.

I have no idea why this fix works, but it does. Apparently the most common cause of those Server Side Errors on MBT with Tick data has something to do with partially filled hours. Delete them from the local DB, then manually download to fill it up to the current time, and you'll be good to go.

Keep in mind that you may be getting the error for a legitimate reason.

Occasionally there really is a problem on the servers... so call tech services to confirm they are up and running and no one is reporting gaps in the available tick data if this work around should fail you.

I have used this numorous times since discovering it and it has always worked.
            Last edited by Crassius; 05-29-2011, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Awesome Crassius!

Thanks.

Originally posted by Crassius View Post
              The server side failure you are getting is a generic message that doesn't necessarily say anything usefull about how to clear the problem.

I have found that this error can be cleared by getting the local database back to only full hours worth of data and deleting any partial hours that may be in the database....

First disconnect from MB to stop it downloading any ticks.

Open up the Historical Data Manager, open the Edit tab and look at the data hour by hour... (each hour of each day has a seperate folder). Delete all hours working backward until you get a DB that has nothing but full hours. You want to get rid of any hours that are only partially filled... you want to keep only hours that have ticks from 1:00:XX to 1:59:XX.

With no charts open that would cause NT to try to reload the data that just threw the error. Reconnect to MB.

Then use the Download tab to manually down load the data you are missing up to the current time. You do this by going to

Historical Data Manager >> Download Tab

Select the instrument

Set End Date to Todays date.

Set Start Date to Todays date, or however many days you have to go back to get one with no partially filled hours.

Set interval to Tick and Data Type to Last

Click Download Button

When it finishes downloading, (you can tell in the progress bar of Control Center) you currently have a database with no partially filled hours, so immediately open a tick chart so NT will continue adding ticks to the DB.

That's my procedure, small variations may work as well.

That has always cleared the problem for me... I trade everyday with rare exception, so I always a partial hour problem. It seems logical that if this doesn't clear it for you, try using the same logic to delete files working backward till you have only completely filled days, then manually download to today's date.

I have no idea why this fix works, but it does. Apparently the most common cause of those Server Side Errors on MBT with Tick data has something to do with partially filled hours. Delete them from the local DB, then manually download to fill it up to the current time, and you'll be good to go.

Occasionally there really is a problem on the servers... so call tech services to confirm they are up and running and no one is reporting gaps in the available tick data if this should fail you.

I have used this numorous times since discovering it and it has always worked.

Comment

Hi Crassius,

I followed your directions. I noticed I had days of data missing between 5/22 and 5/26 until 8:00pm. When I have tick data, there are no partially filled hours. When I attempted to download the tick data I still got the same error message about not being able to download historical data.

Any other suggestion?

Diane

Comment

There are legitimate reasons for the message, so we always have to keep that in mind.

Are you saying you have tick data for some days prior to 5/22... then a gap with no data...then at 8PM on 5/26 you have data until the close at the end of the week on 5/27?

If so, I would try eliminating the gap by first backing up the data you have from 8PM 5/26 to 5/27 by doing an export with these two day selected.... (may be over kill because it should be on the server anyway since it is so recent, but I don't want to tell you to delete it without backing it up) Then delete everything back to 5/20.

That should get you local database into a condition where you have no gap in the data.... Now do a manual download with the start date 5/22 and end date 5/27.

This assumes you have all of 5/20.... being a Friday, 5/20 should be filled from midnight to 4:58PM ish when the market closed for that week end. If 5/20 is not completely filled, you want to delete it as well, and get back to a condition where there is no gap in the local database.... work backwards till you get to a day that is completely filled. Where ever that ends up being, use the next date as you start date on the manual download step.

Keep in mind that it is not a good idea to have navigator running at all during rollover. Being a Sunday there will likely be extended rollover... so wait till that is finished before connecting ninjaTrader to MB. I always check that rollover is finished by starting Navigator alone, without NinjaTrader and checking the alert window.
                  Last edited by Crassius; 05-29-2011, 03:06 PM.

Comment

historical tick data

Hello,

I'm very happy for this forum, although I wish I had found it earlier! I just started to use MBT and NT together 2 days ago and my very first experience was that I didn't get historical tick data. It's very disturbing since I've always used tick charts and now I can't do anything with a minute chart. It's like having to learn trading again almost from the beginning. So I hope there will be a solution because I think the happier the customers with the platforms and the brokers are, the more money those companies will earn from commissions and subscriptions.

Hello Crassius,

I also followed your directions but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. The gap that can be seen in the attached picture always remains. I have set NT to save chart data as historical data, I downloaded tick data manually, but every time the data starts from the moment I download/reload/log on. The data seen on the chart before the gap is nowhere to be found in historical data manager>>edit. It's just on the chart and although I manually downloaded 2 days of tick data, it's nowhere, not on the chart, nor in the database.
                    However, I've definitely got a better understanding of the problem and if it has helped others I hope somehow it's gonna still work also for me, so thank you for that.

If anyone from you fellow traders or from the customer service can help anything with getting the historical tick data, I would be very grateful!

Thank you in advance, all the best,

Candlerider
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Candlerider,

Please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with 'ATTN: Kyle' in the subject line.

In the message, please include:

1.) A link to this forum thread.

2.) Your most current trace file.
                      You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
                      Today's file will be named 'trace.20110610.txt'.
                      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

problem solved

Hello Kyle,

I'm happy to tell that the problem has been solved. I've also reported the issue to MBT and they've made historical tick data available. They had some technical issue of which they were aware and they work on it. They are very helpful, just like NT customer support.

All the best,

Candlerider

Comment

MB Tick Data Problems Much Better with 7.0.1000.7

I just want to report for the record here as people come across this thread when researching issues in the future that many of the behaviors and problems reported in this thread have been resolved with the release of NT 7.0.1000.1 running in conjunction with DeskTop 11.8.0.38.

Over the last year I have become more familiar than I care to with the problems of the old implementation. Following an electrical outage just now was able to get NT to load Tick Data the way one would expect under circumstances that would have failed in the previous releases.

1. I could not log on to the data server until the 8 PM hour, but was able to download all data without problems back to the open. Previously logging in after the 6PM hour closed would mean all tick data prior to log on would be lost.

2. After getting charts opened and updating, my internet connection went down again for 8 minutes during the 8 o'clock hour. I was abale to log back on, and NT successfully patched the 8 o'clock hour's missing data into that incomplete hour with no issues.

There may well be other unresolved issues, or new issues yet discovered. But my results tonight clearly show vast improvement over the past implementations.

Hallelujah !!! My hats of to the NinjaTrader team.

Comment

easy way to fix this when you get the error is rightClick on chart and change the sessionTemplate in Data section to Default24. Once its done you can go back to template you are using.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by f.saeidi, Today, 11:02 AM
                            1 response
                            1 view
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                            Started by geotrades1, Today, 10:02 AM
                            4 responses
                            0 likes