Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

export data

Hello,

I downloaded a few years of tick data for a future instrument (CAC40).
    As you can see on the screen there is one month of data attached to each monthly expiry date.

Let's say I want to export 1 full year of data out of this : do I need to export 12 files spanning the 12 different expiry months ??? which is very not practical to import them again too.
    I did not find a way to export that one year of data in a single file spanning all expiries of this one instrument.

Also, if I perform a backup of the "db" folder of NT7 under Windows/My documents, will this be as much valid as exporting data via the "historical data manager" ?
    Can I send to my friends this "db" folder as is so that they just overwrite their db folder with mine and they're ready to go with my new shared data ?

Thanks for your help.

Hello SARdynamite,

Thank you for your post.

1.) Data exports will occur on a expiry-by-expiry basis.

2.) We'd instead recommend using a backup created within the software for this: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...up_archive.htm
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK thank you !

On the link you provided, what is the diffference between "database (historical trade data)" and "historical chart data" ???

Also if I want to share a list of new instruments I created under "instrument manager". Is there a way to backup my instrument manager list and settings and pass it to friends ? (is that "configuration file" from the backup/restore tool ? or maybe a folder under Windows ?)

Thanks again

Comment

Hi SARdynamite,

1.) "On the link you provided, what is the diffference between "database (historical trade data)" and "historical chart data" ?"

Historical trade data is information about orders you've placed. Historical chart data is the price data itself.

2.) "Also if I want to share a list of new instruments I created under "instrument manager". Is there a way to backup my instrument manager list and settings and pass it to friends ?"

This information is contained in the NinjaTrader database.

Comment

So to sum it up if I want to share hitorical data of fresh new instruments created under "instrument manager", I need to backup both "database" and "historical chart data".

What if I don't want to pass on my trades ? Is there a way to reset my trades before sharing my DB of new instruments ?

Also what other information does the database store besides instruments settings and trades done ? option settings ? what else ?
          Is there a Ninja link stating everything that is stored on this database ?

Thank you

Comment

SARdynamite,

1.) If data is all you want to share, there's not a need to backup the database. This just holds the instrument list settings which should be fairly easy to recreate manually.

2.) " What if I don't want to pass on my trades ? Is there a way to reset my trades before sharing my DB of new instruments ?"

Not without clearing the database completely.

3.) The database contains trade history, order history, atm strategy settings and any settings held in the instrument manager.

Comment

Thank you. Clear answers.

One last question about IMPORTING data this time.

I exported 3 files for EUR/USD spot forex. One for daily data, one for minute, one for ticks.

They all are named $EURUSD.Last

If I share them, before being imported, do they need to be renamed specially or will Ninja automatically detect which one is for ticks, minute or daily depending on the format of the files ?

Comment

Hi SARdynamite,

NinjaTrader has the ability to determine what type of data is contained in the data set, so there's no requirement to name the files differently depending on which interval is being imported.

Comment

Thanks again.

One very last question and I'm set.

Let's say I have some historical tick data already imported from january to march (included)

If I import an update ranging from march (included) to june, will Ninja overwrite the overlaping month (march) with the new data or just fill in the missing months (april, may, june) without touching to the old data of march ?

Cheers

Comment

Hi SARdynamite,

Importing will always result in the full data set being loaded, or loaded over what exists already.

In your example, data from the month of March would be reloaded from the second historical data archive.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post r68cervera  
                    Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes