Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB + Stocks + NT

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any way around manually having to edit new stocks in NT when wanting to pull up a chart/trade them using Interactive Brokers. I find there is no issue when trading the more popular names but if I want to quickly pull up a chart/trade of a lesser known stock I have to manually edit the equity in instrument manager which is far too slow for my needs. I constantly get the "Unable to subscribe to market data: Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manager" error. I understand how to fix this however its far to slow if I want to scan through tens/hundreds of stocks quickly and trade one. Is there a way to maybe important all symbols or something? Also even after sometimes I edited them to pull data current bid/ask data would not show just data would load historically so charts were fine but the dom would not show data.

Thanks in advance.

Hello

Thank you for your post.

Since you are regularly adding symbols that may not be included in the Instrument Manager by default, you will want to use the following method.

1. Connect to your data source & bring up a new chart; e.g. AAPL

2. Once you have this chart up just type in the symbol you want & hit enter.

This is called “on the fly” stock creation & it is the best way for setting up equities & ETF’s that are not already included with NinjaTrader.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank for the quick response.

Yes I do this however most times I get an error that says: Unable to subscribe to market data: Please assign an additional exchange to this instrument in the Instrument Manager
      I than have to go into instrument manager and edit the exchanges/etc to make it work and even than sometimes have issues. Problem being this is far too slow if I want to quickly pull up a chart and trade something.

Comment

Unfortunately you will need to assign the exchange the stock/ETF is traded on in NinjaTrader 7 in addition to the Default exchange.

However you can import an entire stock list. Please see the link below for instructions.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This will also take a while to manually enter them but can you explain what that load button is? Is there anyway to export Interactive Brokers symbols than import there or something? Thanks

Comment

Hello YoungOne,

1.) The 'Load' button opens a menu where you select a file to load instrument settings from.

2.) Unfortunately, I know of no method by which to export a list of instrument settings from TWS.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

What format is this file in? Anywhere online I can download a list to import? Thanks

Comment

YoungOne,

The file would need to be a .txt file. The text file must contain valid symbols separated by either -
                User defined character such as a semicolon or comma
                White space
                Carriage return
                KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,
                  have you found a source of the instrument list for IB? I am interested as well...

Comment

Hi,
                    have you found a source of the instrument list for IB? I am interested as well...

Comment

Hello ptolar,

For Interactive Brokers symbol lookup check out the following:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
                      ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I just found list of entire Nasdaq/NYSE/Amex stocks and imported them into NT which seemed to work.

Comment

YoungOne, would you kindly post the link to the combined symbol list that you found. I would like to see if your list will fix what has to be the single biggest defect in NinjaTrader: the lack of a basic symbols database. Thanks.

Comment

This has entire list of nasdaq/amex/nyse in csv format than I just copy paste into notepad and import: http://www.nasdaq.com/screening/company-list.aspx
                            I also found a file on these forums with a list haven't tried it but I attached it, you could also try that. Just note that this will slow down your instrument manager a bit. I agree that this is a big flaw in ninjatrader and these symbols should all be included by default. Any serious equities trader does not want to sit there and manually edit symbols.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by f.saeidi, Today, 12:14 PM
                            4 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post f.saeidi  
                            Started by Russ Moreland, Today, 12:54 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes