Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pivots - Strange value for Pivots

Hi.

I noticed today (5th January 2011), that NT7 Daily Pivot was giving a different value to my other platform, so I did some digging.

I was looking at the Australian Dollar futures (6A)

NT reported pivot as 0.9971
    Tradestation daily pivot = 0.9997

Next, I went to website which also showed Daily pivot for today as = 0.9997 I looked at what values they had High = 1.0084, Low = 0.9942 and Close = 0.9965. Putting these values into my calculator I also calculated pivot as = 0.9997

The High, Low and Close was exactly as reported by NT7 as High,Low and Close, yet daily Pivot Point in NT7 is still reporting incorrectly - this is strange. I have include screenshot of chart at end of this post due to its size, Daily pivot of interest is WHITE and HLC markers are PINK - Ignore the other lines.

As an additonal step, I manually entered High. Low and Close directly into pivot user defined values - still NT7 Pivot value reported by NT7 pivots is 0.9971 ! I can only assume these is a calculation error, possibly around the +- 1.000 area? I have not checked on other markets -yet.

Can someone please investigate this, although it is not a major problem it is kind of bugging me!

Thanks,

Sunrise

Attached Files

Hello Sunrise,

Thank you for your post.

When manually defining HLC values, you will need to also change the 'PriorDayHLC' property to 'UserDefinedValues' for those values to be used.

Please make this change and let me know what results you see. If the results are still off, please let me know which data provider you're using with NinjaTrader so that I may further investigate.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks NinjaTrader_Kyle.

I did what you mentioned, this did get the manual intervention working. Spurred on from this I selected the 'CalcFromIntradayData' and this fixed my problem and Pivot is reporting correctly now. Looks like I could not use the 'DailyBars' option.

I am using two datafeeds:
      Zenfire
      Kinetick

However, by testing, it looks like data used for pivot came from Zenfire.

Cheers,

Sunrise.

Comment

Hi Sunrise,

Thanks for the clarification on your data providers.

Can you tell me which of the two you typically connect to first?

Comment

Hi NinjaTrader_Kyle.

I should first clarify that I use the Kinetick EoD feed, Zenfire is obviously a live market feed.

I seem to find myself starting Zenfire connection first, followed by Kinetick connection. I find this way the charts load correctly. Sometimes have an issue with minute based charts (eg 5min, 1min) and indicators if I try to connect in reverse (Kinetick then Zenfire).

Ideally, I want to be able to hide Daily, Weekly, Monthly data in same chart window as the 5 min so that I can plot Daily, weekly and Monthly pivot lines. However, I could not find a facility to 'hide' Data Series in an 'invisible' panel - is there any such facility?

Regards,

Sunrise.

Comment

Hi Sunrise,

Thanks for the clarification.

1.) What this results from then is the Zen-Fire daily data which is being loaded. Daily bars coming from Zen-Fire include data from the regular trading hours session only - since after-hours data is excluded, different HLC values may be seen.

2.) The other data series can be hidden by setting the following properties in the Data Series menu:
            Panel: 1
            Color for Up Bars: Transparent
            Color for Down Bars: Transparent
            Candle Outline: Transparent

Comment

It seems that there is a problem. If you first-connect to Kinetick and then second-connect to Zenfire, Zenfire daily data will overwrite Kinetick EOD data for the last day.

Can you confirm this?

What is the reason for this behaviour?

If I connect to Kinetick EOD / Interactive Brokers, the daily data from Kinetick is not replaced with IB data, but maintained, which is what I expect.

Why is this different for Kinetick EOD / Zenfire?

Comment

I did wonder what would be the best solution, as the daily graph do tend to look weak, as the data is pit hours and not electronic hours. If it could be fixed so that Kinetick can be loaded first then Zenfire or, allow option to ignore daily data from zenfire, I would be happy.

I guess Zenfire will not change their daily bars to match electronic contracts.

Regards,

Sunrise.

Comment

Harry,

You're connecting to Kinetick, disconnecting, then connecting to Zen-Fire or are you remaining connected to Kinetick?

Sunrise,

I will forward your suggestion on to development for further consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
                    Harry,

You're connecting to Kinetick, disconnecting, then connecting to Zen-Fire or are you remaining connected to Kinetick?
                    Hi Kyle,

just checked it again. I do not have Zenfire but the problem is actually the same with Zenfire and Interactive Brokers:

(1) Double-connected to Kinetick EOD (first), Zenfire (second) -> no problems with daily data, but cannot execute orders in SIM mode.

(2) First connected to Kinetick EOD, then disconnected, then connected to Interactive Brokers or Zenfire:

-> data loading will override yesterday's daily data loaded from Kinetick, therefore all pivot values calculated from daily data will be false.

This is only a problem for SIM traders. I never use the SIM mode, but many users who have put my indicators on their charts do.......

Comment

Hi Harry,

Thanks for double-checking. This clears things up for me.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the Sim account and a limitation of NT's function with multiple data providers.

The Sim101 account will (essentially) default to the data connection which is established first. Since the software does not allow simulated trading on a delayed data connection, this makes it impossible to trade the Sim101 account when connected first to Kinetick EOD.

Of course, when using the alternate method of connecting to Kinetick, then disconnecting and connecting to Zen-Fire, the issue is that the daily data is over written by the Zen-Fire connection.

Ultimately, the only work-around here would be to disable the loading of historical data in the Zen-Fire connection completely, which may not be an option for you, especially if you're accessing historical tick and minute interval data as well.

A change to the way the Sim101 account works based on your data provider is on development's list of future considerations, but as it stands, a different data provider may need to be utilized for the daily data values.

Comment

I think that this limitation is acceptable, as it only affects SIM accounts. Just wanted to help some guys who do SIM trading.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post philmg
                        by philmg

Started by cre8able, Today, 01:01 PM
                        1 response
                        0 likes