X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT on Mac / Linux

echo. PLease NT on Mac or Linux

Comment

We, Mac people, simply deserve NT to become native on Mac... because we don't have almost any native software with capabilities even close to those of NT... do it, please!

Comment

Alternative option

I believe that you could also use QT to port NT over to Linux and other OSes. Free- so it would only cost you programmer time.

Sorry it looks like support is only for C++ and Java.
        Last edited by Bamboo; 11-24-2008, 12:11 AM.

Comment

I'd love to see NT on linux as well (as its one of the few key apps tying me to windows), but I don't think it would make much sense from a resource management perspective to port NT to run on linux natively.

Aiming for linux compatibility though WINE would make more sense and could likely happen much sooner.

Comment

Whine

Hi Elliot Wave,
            I see what you mean. I think the problems lies with .NET compatibility in Linux.
            Although I am sure that there is a project version of an Open source .NET.
            I also would like to see NT in Linux mainly for security reasons. But I find data comes in faster than in windows too.
            I do run PCLOS2008 minime(which has become a biggerme) with VirtualBox VM running W2K and NT et al. The connection is better from within the VM than with native Windows. I find that much better than wine which I have removed completely from my Linux due to stability and functionability.
            Although I am happy with that arrangement it would be better to have NT run natively on Linux and like you I would like to ditch windows sometime soon too- but for Command and Conquer I would have done it already.

Comment

You will like this...

True cross platform NT - Windows, Mac, Linux - now a possibility.
              Last edited by Gains; 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Gains,

See my post here:

I am also wanting to switch from Vista to Ubuntu. Have you successfully used Mono and Wine to run NT? If so, I would really appreciate a installation procedure from you. For now, I am considering having to run it inside virtualbox.

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Sorry no. I have not tried to tackle that. I assume there would be many errors and this is a job better suited to the Ninja development team.

Hopefully they will code version 7 with Mono in mind. Why would they not?
                  They would be the only charting package on the market for non-windows OS. Since Mono has done most of the heavy lifting in theory I hope Ninja team considers it.

As for Virtualbox I have an online trading friend who is running Ninja in VirtualBox/XP under Suse. He is very happy with it.

I read your link...
                  3x22" displays sounds awesome!

Gains

Comment

Ubuntu and virtualbox

I have tried two setups using Ubuntu 8.10 as a host and windows xp as a guest via virtualbox. The two setups:
                    1. AMD 64 dual core 4200 with 2G ram - I setup up the virtual machine for 1GB ram and 60GB hard drive. The virtualbox software only setup a single core processor which this setup was rather taxing. The cpu usage was very high.
                    2. Intel quad core 9300 with 4G ram - Again the setup consisted of 1GB ram and 100GB hard drive. I could almost live with this setup. It was much better than the AMD.

Besides running NT I also ran a squawkbox in both examples so the results could vary slightly better with just NT.
                    Also running NT with windows xp on the AMD was the best overall.

I will keep the Intel quad core 9300 setup as a backup system.

Comment

Cool thanks for the info and welcome to the NT forums!

My main desktop is an E6850 @ 3.0Ghz with 8GB. This weekend (or next) I am building a Q6600 w/8GB system that I need for other business reasons that will run 3 VMs but they are almost always low CPU resources, so I plan to throw a 4th VM on it for some NT backtesting as needed.

I agree with the VirtualBox single CPU being a serious drawback. For this new box, I am going to see if VMware ESXi is compatible with the hardware (not sure since it isn't a server box). I've run ESX in production environments and it's great, and now that ESXi is free I think that beats the other option of doing a core OS then VMware on top of that, or Server 2008 with Hyper-V. And the drummed down ESXi is perfect for this, don't need VirtualCenter for HA/DRS etc.

I'm also still planning on switching my primary desktop from Vista x64 to Ubuntu 8.10 x64. I've got in a dual boot now and am messing around with it. The major disadvantage right now holding me back is the nVidia triple-monitor support is lacking, can't do any desktop effects, compiz, etc. For that setup I prefer VirtualBox over VMware to run my XP box for Outlook 2007 and Ninja. Since I wont be backtesting, single CPU in the VM is acceptable.

Hopefully, if I proceed with that, VirtualBox will add multi-CPU support within the VM's before Ninja adds multi-core support in NT7. Cuz if not, that would suck!

Mike

Comment

Guys, although we do not support Linux (nor plan to do so in near future) here are some thoughts on Mono:
                        - nice approach which I have been monitoring since its first days, however complete support of system .NET assemblies (dependeant on .NET version) could be the limiting factor
                        - many broker/provider APIs are non .NET code (=unmanaged code =native code) and would not run on Mono

Due to these facts (and lots of details related), Mono unfortunately is no option at this time.

Comment

NinjaTrader_Dierk,

I missed this follow up until just today.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. It's easy for us idealists to imagine the perfect solution without regard for the real world hurdles the coders face. :-)

Thanks to the entire team for all your efforts and for dealing with that list of our suggestions for "improving" Ninja that must number in the thousands by now.

Anxiously watching my calendar and waiting for v 7.

Gains

Comment

Guys, this is my first post and I have just recently started using NT for charting and I intend to buy it for trading. I have been playing with it in Ubuntu (under wine) to try and get it running and I managed to get it to load and connect to my esignal historical data feed.

I have had to use winetricks to install a few extra bits and pieces and although it's not perfect it does run.

Since NT gets that far, would it be possible to get some sort of support on wine? Seems so close. I'm no Linux guru but I'd be happy to help with testing if volunteers are needed.

My trading software is the only thing keeping me in windows. Would love to be windows free. Wouldn't we all

edit: Just noticed the dates on the posts. Apologies if there is a more appropriate thread this could have gone under

Comment

Unfortunately Linux/Wine is not supported. It may or may not work. You would need to try on your own.

Comment

I also got it working but there are so many limitations that it's not usable for me : charting is very slow and you have to edit manually a config file to add a zenfire account.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 04:32 PM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                                Started by f.saeidi, Today, 05:56 AM
                                1 response
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Jltarrau