Where are trades residing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are trades residing?

If I'm using ATM (multiple profit targets, multiple trailing stops), where are all the trades and parameters residing - on my PC or on NT's server? Do I have to sit and watch this all the time?

ATM Strategies

Hello Mike C,

You can find information on where you orders reside below or by clicking on the following link:
    http://ninjatrader.mywowbb.com/forum7/32.html

The resting locations of your orders are dependant on several variables including broker, order type and exchange type.

It is first important to understand NinjaTrader Order Status types:

PENDING - Order submitted
    REJECTED - Order rejected
    CANCELLING - Cancel requested but not confirmed
    CANCELLED - Cancel confirmed
    FILLED- Order filled
    ACP_BKR - Accepted at broker
    ACP_XCHG - Accepted at exchange

ACP_BKR (light blue color in DOM) and ACP_XCHG (green color in DOM) are the two states we need to be concerned with to determine order resting location. Whenever an order is ACP_XCHG it means the order is resting at the exchange. Should anything happen to your PC or internet connection your order is still alive and working.

If an order is ACP_BKR it can mean several things.

For Patsystems -

It means the order is synthetic and the order is resting on your PC. If your PC crashes or your internet connection goes down, this order will be lost.

For Interactive Brokers and MB Trading -

It means the order is resting on the broker's order server. If your PC crashes or your internet connection goes down, this order is still alive at the broker. If the broker's servers go down, then the order is not active and potentially lost.

How do I know which order types will receive an ACP_XCHG (resting at the exchange) state?

This is dependant on the exchange itself and what order types they choose to support as native exchange order types. For example, all stop order types on ECBOT are NOT exchange supported where GLOBEX stop order types are.

Comment

Chris, thanks for the reply. The link you gave on your forum post doesn't seem to be valid - at least I can't pull it up.

Comment

ATM Strategies

Hello Mike C,

Please disreguard the link in my previous post. The link is from our old support forum and no longer works.

Please let me know if the other information is sufficent.

Comment

Chris, Please help me with the following scenario: I'm trading the JY futures on the Globex. This market closes at 4pm and reopens at 5pm CST. I want to place two bracketed OCO orders at the open at 5pm. One bracketed order is a buy at the high of the previous day's bar, the other bracketed order is at the low of the previous day's bar. When one of these is filled, the other is cancelled. Also, the one that gets filled will have a stop loss order and a profit target order.
          1) Are you saying that this stop loss order is held at the exchange so that if my PC blows up, your server blows up, IB's server blows up, this stop loss will still be executed at the proper time if need be because it's at the exchange (Globex)?
          2) How about my profit target? Is this residing at the exchange as well?
          Thanks, Mike

Comment

With IB, orders rest either at the exchange or on their servers. For 100% clarification, please contact them to determine where orders are at based on the type and exchange combination.
            RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ATM Strategies

Hello Mike C,

I have provided instructions below on how to set up a Break Out Fade entry.

1. Before entering the first order, right click in the SuperDOM and select OCO order to turn it on
              2. Next, select the strategy template you want to use in the strategy selection box
              3. Place the first order in the buy column (use either a Stop-Limit, or a Stop-Market order type)
              4. Next, you need to re-select a strategy template for the second order, if you do not NT thinks you are trying to add to the order you just created and you will get an error message.
              5. Place the second order in the sell column (use either a Stop-Limit, or a Stop-Market order type)
              6. Next, right click in the SuperDOM and select OCO order to turn it off

Now you will have two pending strategy orders in the market and if one get hits, the strategy will initiate and the second order will automatically be cancelled. Please be aware that if you use a stop-market order and the market is gapping up or down, you may be filled at a much higher price then what you specified. A stop-limit order will limit the price paid but if the market is gapping up or down neither order may get filled.

1) It means the order is resting on the broker's order server. If your PC crashes or your internet connection goes down, this order is still alive at the broker. If the broker's servers go down, then the order is not active and potentially lost.

Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Chris, Regarding the limit orders, do you have something like TradeStation has where if the limit order is not filled within X seconds (you set X to whatever you want) the order is then filled at the market?

Comment

ATM Strategies

Hello Mike C,

Unfortunately we do not have this feature. I will forward your suggestion to development and have them add it to our future enhancement list.

Comment

Chris, I'm a little confused regarding something you said earlier. If I'm trading a Globex product, didn't you say that if I have a bracketed order that is filled (i.e. has a pending profit target order and pending stop loss order), that since this is a Globex product, that at least my stop loss is sitting at the exchange? (If so, how about my profit target?) Thanks

Comment

ATM Strategies

Hello Mike C,

Sorry for the confusion, please refer to Rays post.

Comment

Ray, regarding post #6 on this thread, I just called CME and found that any order for a Globex product that gets through to CME is then held on their system or resides there (a good thing I think). On NT, as soon as a bracketed order is filled, are both the open orders for the profit target and the stop, immediately sent to the exchange or is it held on my system or your system or Infinity's system or somewhere else until the price is hit to fill the profit target or stop and then goes to the exchange or what?
                        Sorry about continuing to hammer this, but I want to get crystal clear on it. Thanks, Mike

Comment

ATM Strategies

Hello Mike,

The profit target and stop loss are sent to the exchange after the order is filled and they are placed. The stop loss and profit target will reside on the exchange.

Comment

Is this regardless of what broker I'm using?

Comment

ATM Strategies

Hello Mike,

This is dependant on your broker. For 100% clarification, please contact the broker to determine where orders are at based on the type and exchange combination.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by traderqz, Today, 12:06 AM
                              10 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post traderqz  
                              Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse