Switching Positions to ATM from IB Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Positions to ATM from IB Workstation

If I have an open position in IB that I want to manage from NT (proft target/stop loss through an ATM strategy) so that I can add another position to the instrument and manage both separately, is there a way that I can do that or would both positions have to have been opened in NT for management through concurrent ATM strategies?

Hello sgordet,

Unfortunately you cannot apply ATM strategies to open positions. They must be predefined and the position opened in NinjaTrader only.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

If I open both in NT, is there any way that I can label them so I can track the results separately?

Comment

You can view performance results based on the ATM strategy template used. This is through the account performance screen, advanced options. Is this what you're looking for?

Comment

1. So all I would need to do is give each ATM strategy a specific name, e.g., Crude A, Crude B, etc., and I could pull up the separate information. Correct?
          2. When I trade, for example, ES in Ninja through my IB account. I see my entry, stoploss and target in the IB Workstation. If I were on daily charts long on ES and then entered a day later a separate short position in NT, what would I be seeing in the IB workstation?
          3. Most of what I would be using the multiple strategies for are daily as opposed to intraday positions. For one position, if I close NT, I still have my stoploss and profit order in place on IB. What happens to these concurrent positions if I close NT?

Comment

1. Yes, you can view performance results by atm strategy so if they are named uniquely there will be results available specific to the template used.

2. You can't hold short and long positions at the same time in one account. Your short position is a sell order that closes your long position. Your stop loss and target order may remain working or not depending on ATMStrategySelectionMode settings.

3. Please see here for order location based on broker. Your orders will be held at IB, with the OCO logic held natively on their servers.

Comment

I read the link that you sent me to on strategy selection, but I'm afraid that I'm still not getting it.
              If I open a long ES position on a day chart which I plan to hold for a month and three days later on a different day chart I open a short position which I plan to hold for three days, Each position will have a stop and target.
              What's going to happen at the broker? I assume NT will close the long position and open the short position and then re-enable the long position if the short position closes. But how will it adjust if the long position is stopped out while the short position is increasing in value and the only position at the broker?

Comment

You can't have long and short positions at the same time. You submit orders and your account position is based on these orders.

If you're long 1 and submit a sell 1 order, your position is flat.

If you're short 1 and submit a buy 1 order your position is flat.

The stop and target orders associated with these positions can remain working if you have the ATMStrategy selection mode set to "DisplayOnly" and you make these orders on two different doms. If you have it on either of the other two selection mode settings, then the working stop and target orders are cancelled as soon as your position is flat.

Comment

So, if I'm long in one DOM, then go short in another, I go flat. Then if my long position has its stop hit, does NT submit a new short order with the earlier ATM settings so my 2nd position is active?

Comment

Yes, if you leave working stop and target orders going, they will be filled if price reaches / crosses the levels.

A working stop loss order from a long position is a sell order.

A sell order will make a flat position -> short, or a long position -> flat.
                    Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM.

Comment

But most importantly, will NT automatically re-institute the short position that should now be open once the stop is hit on the long order?

Comment

There's no re-institute of a short position. These are the only factors:
                        • Your current account position and quantity.
                        • An order direction and quantity.

When the order is filled, it will place you in a position based on those factors only.

Comment

Then I'm really not getting this:
                          I was long with a stop and target. I went short with a stop/target ATM in a separate DOM--each DOM had "DisplaySelectedAtmStrategyOnly" chosen. NT closed my long position when I went short. My virtual stop on the long was hit.
                          Doesn't NT have to now re-open my short with its ATM stop/target strategies to keep everything in sync?

Comment

No, stop loss orders won't have an ATM applied to them unless you're using Reverse At Stop through the advanced options. Reverse at stop effectively changes the order quantity of the stop loss orders, so things can get further out of sync.

What are your goals? If you want to balance short and long term trading, multiple accounts may be the best approach for this.

Comment

The manual says that using the "Display Selected ATM Strategy only" mode is "designed for traders who want to run concurrent ATM strategies (trades) in the same market."
                              But is seems from your responses that this only works if you have separate accounts for each of the concurrent positions.
                              I use several different trading methods on the same instrument, and I was hoping that I could use NT to let me manage them out of the same account, but to do that it's going to have to automatically re-open a position and its ATM strategies when a position going in the opposite direction has hit its stop.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                              Started by f.saeidi, Today, 08:13 AM
                              1 response
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB