Ratio Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratio Charts

I would like to setup a ratio chart (price of one security divided by the price of another security and have that plotted) but can't seem to find how to do this in NT. Is it possible? If not can we get this in development? This is an extremely useful type of chart to have.

Thanks.

Hello martied16,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forums!

This is not currently supported. However, this has been suggested by some users & our Development Department is researching if further.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

When do you think this will be available.... I'd love to be able to plot ratios in the market analyzer and have them treated as one stock symbol...

Thanks

Nick

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Chip View Post
      Hello martied16,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forums!

This is not currently supported. However, this has been suggested by some users & our Development Department is researching if further.

Comment

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately we cannot say at this time when this feature might be added to the platform.

ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

this means years

Comment

I have to chime in here. Seriously? This is BASIC stuff in any charting package out there. Ratio charts are the bread & butter of swing traders.

Okay, can you guys at least give us a way to plot candles or OHLC on an indicator?

Comment

.... Ratio indicator attached....

Attached are ratio and spread indicators....

Spread by Kdoren can also also be found here...

Attached Files
              Last edited by Alfred; 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Originally posted by molecool View Post
                I have to chime in here. Seriously? This is BASIC stuff in any charting package out there. Ratio charts are the bread & butter of swing traders.

Okay, can you guys at least give us a way to plot candles or OHLC on an indicator?
                Just create a multiseries chart; add the two instruments; escape/ignore the primary bar series; take the ratio. Adding the instruments uses the names as strings, so they can be made into parameters.

Comment

Thanks Alfred - I actually wrote my own ratio and ratiospread indicators in NT. However they only plot a line signal, right? What I need is not so much an 'indicator' but a way to plot one symbol against the other as candles or OHLC in the main chart panel, e.g. the SPX / Gold.

I think the solution in NT should be done on the signal level. There should be a way how you can build your own symbol by computing two or more symbols via a simple algebraic formula:

(^SPX / GC ##-##)
                  Last edited by molecool; 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

"Just create a multiseries chart; add the two instruments; escape/ignore the primary bar series; take the ratio. Adding the instruments uses the names as strings, so they can be made into parameters"

Okay, how do I 'escape/ignore' the primary bar series?

How do I 'take the ratio' - are you talking about building an indicator? That's not what I want - I want to plot candles or OHLC in the main chart panel.

For examples of what I'm trying to do go to stockcharts.com - they offer 'ratio charts'. Prophet charts also offers them and they are quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by molecool View Post
                      "Just create a multiseries chart; add the two instruments; escape/ignore the primary bar series; take the ratio. Adding the instruments uses the names as strings, so they can be made into parameters"

Okay, how do I 'escape/ignore' the primary bar series?

How do I 'take the ratio' - are you talking about building an indicator? That's not what I want - I want to plot candles or OHLC in the main chart panel.

For examples of what I'm trying to do go to stockcharts.com - they offer 'ratio charts'. Prophet charts also offers them and they are quite nice.
                      What you describe is a bit more elaborate, but not undoable. It will still be an indicator which you can overlay on the main panel if you wish.

Essentially what you have to do is write code to determine the OHLC. Once you have captured those, NT shows us how to use a Custom Plot to draw candles. One example is in the shipping Heiken-Ashi indicator. Another one is actually in the document the NT published about code-breaking changes in NT7. It is still on their website.

We escape the primary barSeries with:
                      Code:
                      if (BarsInProgress == 0) return;
                      Last edited by koganam; 11-16-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Is there a way to make an indicator from a ratio of 2 indicators?

Is there a way to make an indicator from a ratio of 2 indicators? For example, creating a line that tracks the value of 9period RSI divided by a 18 period RSI?

Comment

Hello,

Yes, this custom indicator would be possible to create.

The line of code in OnBarUpdate would be setting the Value of the plot to your calculation.

For example;

Value.Set( RSI(9)[0] / RSI(18)[0]);

Below is a link to the help guide on Value.
                          http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../nt7/value.htm
                          Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

How would I do that exactly? I'm not a programmer

Comment

Hello i8john,

We do have resources to help you begin creating NinjaScript Strategies/Indicators.

The best way to begin learning NinjaScript is to use the Strategy Wizard. With the Strategy Wizard you can setup conditions and variables and then see the generated code in the NinjaScript Editor by clicking the View Code button.
                              I'm also proving a link to a recently recorded 'Automated Strategy Development Webinar' video for you to view at your own convenience: Automated Strategy Development Level 1 - NinjaTrader Training - 3/26/2013

We also have great resources in relation to Strategy Development on our Support Forum. There is a very active developer community in our support forum that supplements the responses provided by NinjaTrader support staff providing all users with an exceptional support experience.
                              Take me to your support forum!

There are a few Sample Automated Strategies which come pre-configured in NinjaTrader that you can use as a starting point. These are found under Tools--> Edit NinjaScript--> Strategy. You will see locked strategies where you can see the details of the code, but you will not be able to edit (you can though always create copies you can later edit via right click > Save as)

We also have some Reference samples online as well as ‘Tips and Tricks’ for both indicators and strategies:
                              Click here to see our NinjaScript Reference Samples
                              Click here to see our NinjaScript Tips

These samples can be downloaded, installed and modified from NinjaTrader and hopefully serve as a good base for your custom works.

Further, the following link is to our help guide with an alphabetical reference list to all supported methods, properties, and objects that are used in NinjaScript.
                              Alphabetical Reference

We also have a few tutorials in our help guide for both Indicators and Strategies.
                              Indicator tutorials
                              Strategy tutorials

Last, if you would like to have this strategy coded for you, you may contact one of our professional NinjaScript consultants.
                              Click here to see our Consultants page
                              Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Max238
                              by Max238

Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM