Simulated Stop Claification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simulated Stop Claification

I'm an equities day trader and trade mainly during the opening 5-10 minutes. I've had problems closing positions with my broker, TD Ameritrade, during active markets. I use an ATM strategy to open the position and place a Stop Loss. Their system seems to get hung up when I move a stop when chasing the market and it prevents me from closing the position. I thought that I had the answer in using Simulated Stops.

My objective is to use an ATM strategy to open a position with a Simulated Stop in place. When the Simulated Stop is violated, a Sell Stop order to close the position would be sent to my broker.

Example:
    Long 1,000 shares at 100.00
    Stop Loss at 99.90
    ATM Strategy Simulated Volume Trigger: 1000000
    Chart Trader properties: Use stop market for stop loss orders set to True

My goal is have a Sell Stop market order submitted upon the stock trading at, or below, 99.90. I set the volume trigger high to make sure the position gets closed out. I'm concerned about a statement in another thread regarding the use of Simulated stops - “if the market trades through the price, then simulated stop is ignored”. Is the proceeding saying that a Sell Stop market order will not be be entered if the securities prices jumps down to 99.89 and never trades at 99.90? If so, any ideas on how I can attain my objective? I made several live trades this morning using Simulated Stops and everything worked perfectly. I just don't want to get into unexpected trouble if a stop price gets jumped.

Hello,

There is a small chance this could happen. Simulated stops are just plain and simple more risker.

However as far as the stop problem. Can you please email me at support at ninjatrader dot com and reference this forum post and put ATTN: Brett in the subject line and include the following file of the last time you used a stop order.

You can find these files at the following locations, please attach these to a return email as an attachment

My Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> Log--> log.20110203
    for today. (log.yyyymmdd for any other date)

So that I can look into this.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by algospoke, Today, 06:40 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post algospoke  
    Started by maybeimnotrader, Today, 05:46 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post maybeimnotrader