is market scanning possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is market scanning possible?

I have a couple of market scanning needs that I am trying to determine if market analyer is capable of doing.

1)
    Every night I scan for setups in all stocks (NYSE, NASDAQ and AMEX - soon to include other exchanges). I would need to check thousands of stocks every night. I want to save the stocks that meet my criteria into watchlists for the following trading day.

2)
    During the market day I go through my watchlists from step 1 and look for intraday setups to occur. There could be over 1000 symbols in my watch lists so I need to be able to 'cycle' through them during the day. Ideally they could be prioritized during the day based on how close they are to setting up. There would be a few stocks that I would want to stream real time data for but many of them only need to be checked on occasion (say every 15 min for some and every 60 minutes for others) When a stock meets the criteria for entry it should be checked against the portfolio and then an entry sent to the exchange.

I am sure I can code the entry/exits rules for each system and also any necessary portfolio checks (if there is a portfolio level object available). Can the 2 types of scanning above be supported in this platform? I get the impression that many users may use a smaller universe of stocks which would make things easier in the software but my systems must be run on the entire market to be effective.

>> I would need to check thousands of stocks every night.
    I doubt that would work. I suspect you will hit the wall for performance reasons as you try to process these masses.

Comment

I already have a method of doing the nightly scans that I can continue to use if necessary. I would prefer to do all my work in a single system so I thought I would ask. As long as I can import watch lists every night (hopefully automatically) I can get by without #1 above. What do you think about #2? Can I scan stocks intraday? I want to be able to be able to have program logic that would cycle through stocks as necessary. Would this be possible in Ninja Trader?

Comment

>> What do you think about #2? Can I scan stocks intraday?
        You can, but likely not 1000s of them as you mentioned in your post below. You would need to try by yourself.

Comment

Watching all the symbols that I am interested all the time is not a practical solution. Thats why I am asking about the possibility of switching symbols as necessary. Let me ask another way. Are there objects and methods that expose the market analyzer so I can change the data in it with my code? Also, can I have the market analyzer contain logic that will execute trades for me? (this could be in the form of a strategy or indicator - it doesn't matter as long as it can look at the symbols and place orders).

Comment

No and no.

Comment

1)Every night I scan for setups in all stocks (NYSE, NASDAQ and AMEX - soon to include other exchanges). I would need to check thousands of stocks every night. I want to save the stocks that meet my criteria into watchlists for the following trading day.
              Can I check broad market EOD historical data? Or do historical backtesting on a large pool of stocks? This seems to be available on other similar platforms (i.e. Investor R/T). Could this data be imported into NT or downloaded through Yahoo?
              TY

Comment

Not sure what you mean about broad market historical data.
                RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ray,
                  I was also using an online service and I could backtest with five years of data against the general market (NASDAQ, AMEX, NYSE) representing about 5000 stocks. I also was able to TA screen based on daily EOD data. Seems like almost every tool like Amibroker, Investor R/T, TS, Metastock etc. has this capability.

TY

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

What stops the current version from performing this function. Couldn't you either import the data or import a symbol list and update the database? Is the database unable to accommodate this volume of data?
                      Thanks

Comment

We have not tested that volume yet. You may need to try by your own.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post GLFX005
                        by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                        2 responses
                        0 likes