Yet Another Installation Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello r2kTrader,

I believe I upgraded to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, while NinjaTrader was already installed, but closed. Note, I am on Vista.

Could you please send me your latest trace and log files as an attachment to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header. I found a trace file section in the email correspondance with Ray, but I need the actual trace and log files as attachments.

You can find these files at the following locations:

Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Log--> log.20090511 for today. (log.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Trace--> trace.20080511 for today. (trace.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Am I correct, the error occurred once your upgraded to XP SP3?

I will need to contact Development regarding Jet drivers, which I will once I have your log and trace files.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I give up

Jason & RJ,

I give up. This is not worth it. I am going to do a raw install of XP with Service Pack 2, then Install Ninja and rebuild.

It's 2009 btw, just in case NT was wondering. They have new technology for data access, lol. So frustrating when you deal with legacy applications.

MSDE as an "option" for those who like to stay a bit more current

Jet 4.0? seriously.... lol.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
        Hello r2kTrader,

I believe I upgraded to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, while NinjaTrader was already installed, but closed. Note, I am on Vista.

Could you please send me your latest trace and log files as an attachment to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header. I found a trace file section in the email correspondance with Ray, but I need the actual trace and log files as attachments.

You can find these files at the following locations:

Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Log--> log.20090511 for today. (log.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Start Menu--> My Documents--> NinjaTrader 6.5--> Trace--> trace.20080511 for today. (trace.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Am I correct, the error occurred once your upgraded to XP SP3?

I will need to contact Development regarding Jet drivers, which I will once I have your log and trace files.
        Jason,

No, it's a brand new fresh clean install of XP Pro (Slipstreamed with SP3). It's an MDAC issue and there is a registration mis-match of somekind with the Jet 4.0 drivers. Can't fix it unless it is all done manually. I don't think I would consider this an NT issue as much as I would a driver mismatch / MDAC issue. In other words, the fact that NT is using legacy drivers is not a good thing, but technically NT should not be blamed. Rather if the drivers were correct, NT would run fine. On the other hand, if NT was able to run on MSDE then I wouldn't be wrestling to get legacy ODBC functionality.

There is only one solution. I need to start from the beginning. Fact is, if I can't install the access DSN from the ODBC manager in the Admin panel of XP, then NT won't run either.

It would be nice if you had a patch that included the necessary Jet 4.0 drivers as well as a script to register them. This would solve the problem and I really wouldn't worry about "breaking" anything because I can't really see many applications needing Jet 4.0, lol.

So if NT can roll a patch, great. If not, I will have to just build an XP Sp2 box, install NT, then upgrade.

Can't blame NT, only for using legacy drivers.

Comment

Unfortunately there is nothing we could do at this time. Note: NT7 will come with a different DB technology (MS SQL Server Compact Edition).

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
            Unfortunately there is nothing we could do at this time. Note: NT7 will come with a different DB technology (MS SQL Server Compact Edition).
            That's what I needed to know. MSDE is the play. I won't beat up NT for running on Jet 4.0 then

In the meantime, the interim solution is a clean install with SP2, then NT, then upgrade the service packs, etc. AFTER NT has built its DSNs, etc.

This is clearly an MDAC driver issue that NT is a victim of. I would like to know what the original poster of this thread to resolve his issue, but there was no follow up

I will report back my findings as per my proposed solution.

Thanks

Comment

Dierk,

Can NT "roll" a driver patch in the meantime? Just provide the needed dll files with a registration script/cmd file.

I would do it and provide it, but I don't know which dll's NT wants exactly.

Comment

Jet 4.0 ODBC - Follow up

I just did a re-install of XP PRO sp2. Then dropped in .net 2.0 as per the link on the NT website.

NT is online.

I am going to burn an image from this point, and then begin the upgrade process and see if NT holds up. My guess is that SP3 slipstreamed installs the last MDAC and as such, won't let you pop in the Jet 4.0 drivers manually for the legacy applications.

If I can get to .net 3.5 and SP3 with all updates, etc. and still run NT, then I will have to assume that is the case. I will also double check my nLite setup as I may have clipped legacy drivers on my setup and as such am unable to install them after the fact due to MDAC having more recent updates, etc.

I would like to know what Bear did, does anyone have feedback?

Comment

Jet 4.0 Issue - Resolved

This was the problem for me. I am using nLite, and I must have opted out of Jet option as I couldn't think of anything that uses it anymore

I have attached a screenshot for anyone else who uses nLite. If you are not familiar with nLite, you should be ;-)

Do a search for nLite in the forums, we have a nice thread going that should be of interest to traders.

I hope this helps someone.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for feedback. That's the exact reason why I personally NEVER would mess with my Windows configuration/setup with tools like these...

Comment

Thanks for feedback. That's the exact reason why I personally NEVER would mess with my Windows configuration/setup with tools like these...
                      Dierk,

I understand your point. It is not 1-2-3 click. You have to go through a lot of installs to know what is safe and what is not safe to remove. I took out Jet as I couldn't think of anything that could possibly use it, lol.

These boxes are going to only be used for NT, they are working great and EXTREMELY clean. Post install, my total hard drive used for System (C was less than 600 Meg. Total services (I let a few extra run for compatibility reasons so as to avoid having to turn them on manually when I need certain things.) Anyway, total services is less than 10 total.

My system screams and is extremely responsive. I mean RESPONSIVE.

Windows out of the box is simply unacceptable. I paid the price to get stable and it was over 3 days of tweaking and burning and installing. But now the next person already knows that he has to KEEP Jet 4.0 in there if he is to run NT.

So your first instinct is completely correct. If you are not going to see the project through, keep a stock system out of the box and avoid pain at the expense of performance. I am not into paying a plumber to cut my grass and I couldn't stand by watching the hour glass when I knew it was all because of crapware running that wasn't needed for this specific purpose.

If NT can make a section for tweaks, I can report back my findings.

By the way, I was able to do XP PRO with SP3 slipstreamed, but I didn't do ANY upgrades until .NET 2.0 (then the 2.0 SP1) was installed followed by Ninja. Then I did the upgrades and each upgrade I double checked that the ODBC was working correctly.

100% now. It should not have been an issue, but you can't take out Jet 4.0, do an up to date install, then put Jet 4.0 in after the fact without doing so manually (which I am not interested in doing ;-)

Thanks and I hope this thread helps others. I know I have benefited from others on the code side.

Comment

Thanks for feedback.

>> If NT can make a section for tweaks, I can report back my findings.
                        I suggest opening up a new thread in this forum section reporting your findings on your endeavor.

Comment

This post is old, but i am having the same problem

Any solution?

Comment

Hello cricket99,

Do you receive the same error message after a successful installation as described in post #1?

Can you please check if your PC meets the requirements listed at the link below.

Did the resolution posted by r2kTrader per post #23 not solve the issue for you?
                            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                            15 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post xiinteractive  
                            Started by Tim-c, Today, 02:10 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes