Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help understanding bandwidth for data stream

Hello,

I live in a remote area with a slow but mostly stable DSL line, so I need to be careful of my bandwidth. I'm running one monitor machine that has a lot of charts open and a Market Analyzer. With multiple monitors, I use this machine to visually see when the charts are moving fast, and also have indicators on the Market Analyzer to give me alerts for my trading conditions.

On the second machine, the ones where the trades are placed, I have 3-4 charts open, but also have a Market Scanner running because that is the only way (or so I understand) to guarantee that when I flip between instruments on a chart, that the historical data will be correct. When there is action on a specific instrument on the monitor machine I will change one of the charts on the trading computer to that instrument. Because the Market Analyzer caches the data that data is already on my machine (the way I understand it) and it is loaded immediately from the cache.

The result of these two Market Analyzers on two machines on one DSL connection is that I may have up to 20 data streams at one time, one for each instrument in the two Market Analyzers.

I am monitoring the bandwidth with NetLimiter on both machines and noticed that Ninjatrader on the trading machine is taking at times 2-3x the bandwidth of the monitor machine.

Can some explain why this is so I can make adjustments to preserve bandwidth?

Thanks

Turtle Trader,

Please see my reply to your other post, as I believe these two issues are related. You will need to apply all of the recommended performance tips to ensure the best performance out of NinjaTrader.

MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hello,

This is not on the VM machine, which is in Chicago (the other post)...these are local machines in my office in Northern Patagonia, and are working OK as far as charting and data loading.

I looked at the Performance Tips and yes, all those conditions are met.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi Turtle Trader,

I realize these are not VM installations, however the amount of bandwidth that is downloaded is covered under the performance tips.

You will want to check the amount of Workspaces you have loaded to ensure you do not have duplicate instruments being loaded to your PC that are using network resources.

You'll also want to check how many bars back the Market Analyzer is set, as well as how many days to load you have your charts set to.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by TraderG23, 12-08-2023, 07:56 AM
        9 responses
        1 like
        Last Post Gavini
        by Gavini

Started by oviejo, Today, 12:28 AM
        0 responses