Vertical Lines on Tick/Volume Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical Lines on Tick/Volume Chart

Is there a way to use the time of day for when the vertical lines are drawn?

Right now, it seems the vertical lines are drawn at consistent rate depending on how far you are zoomed in/out. Meaning, you have say 20 vertical lines divided up evenly across the chart.

What I would like to do is have it be based on time so say your time frame per vertical line is 5 minutes, sometimes you would have only say 5 OHLC's per vertical line window and then when there is a lot of market action you may have 20 OHLC's per window.

In other words, the vertical lines would not be on the chart in an evenly divided manner because the number of OHLC's between each vertical time frame would be different.

Hello ssc351,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

This is possible with custom programming only. The default chart setup does not provide an option to separate vertical lines by time.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

search for an indicator called timelines, it does it.

Comment

I am also looking for a customprogram which draw me a vertical line at a specific time . can somebody help me out with an already programmed indicator ? thanks

Comment

here is one i just wrote.
          if anyone can adapt it so that i can change line colors from the indicator window on a chart instead of recoding the script, i'd appreciate it.
          thanks.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by simpletrades; 07-01-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simpletrades View Post
            here is one i just wrote.
            if anyone can adapt it so that i can change line colors from the indicator window on a chart instead of recoding the script, i'd appreciate it.
            thanks.
            Can't get vertical lines to draw in NT 7.0. Also, how does the time parameter work? Minutes? Seconds?

Thanks!

Comment

Hello rxtrader,

Could you clarify how you are trying to draw the vertical lines? Are you trying to draw them manually inside of NinjaTrader or use the "VerLines1" indicator that a member has posted?
              JCNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

The VerLines1 indicator is loaded on my chart, but isn't drawing any vertical lines. I also don't know how the time parameter works.

Comment

Hello rxtrader,

Taking a quick look at it, the time parameter is being comparing using ToTime() which means that the "Time1" has to be set in a format like HHMMSS so if you are looking to view something at 10:00 AM your local PC time then you would put 100000.

Here is a link to our Help Guide that goes over ToTime a has a few more examples on how it is going to display the time in the integer format.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JC View Post
                    Taking a quick look at it, the time parameter is being comparing using ToTime() which means that the "Time1" has to be set in a format like HHMMSS so if you are looking to view something at 10:00 AM your local PC time then you would put 100000.
                    Thanks. Perhaps I was mistaken on how this indicator works in the first place. I'm looking for an indicator that will simply plot a vertical line on a TICK chart every 15 seconds. In practice, the closer the lines appear to each other, the lower the volatility. Wider gaps = high volatility.

I'm just trying to come up with a more meaningful way to interpret momentum on tick charts because the time stamps on the bottom of the window are simply not practical. The indicator I'm looking for is quite simple.

Desired parameters:
                    TIme (in seconds)
                    Line width
                    Line color

Comment

Hello rxtrader.

You may want to try out the following indicator to see if it will function to how you would like.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_JC View Post
                        You may want to try out the following indicator to see if it will function to how you would like.
                        http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...d=4&linkid=408
                        The problem with this indicator is that it is BAR-based, not TIME-based. All that needs to be modified is changing the numerical LineInterval from bars to seconds.

Comment

Hello rxtrader,

You can only manually draw 1 vertical line per bar which is the reason why this is done this way. To draw something outside of these bounds would require a custom drawing object which would be much more complicated.

Comment

What about ignoring the data feed completely and simply drawing a vertical line in a fixed position on the chart every X amount of seconds?

Comment

Hello rxtrader,

To do something like that would requier a custom drawing object or basically to override the plot method to ignore the bars.

Note that this can be a complicated project and one that we cannot support, but if you would like to try this out you may view a reference indicator that does this inside of the Tools -> Edit NinjaScript -> Indicator and view the CustomPlotSample.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Tim-c, Today, 03:54 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Tim-c
                              by Tim-c

Started by FrancisMorro, Today, 03:24 AM
                              0 responses