Connection interruption stops all data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection interruption stops all data

It seems that when I get a internet connection interruption the data stops feeding in... it still says connected to Kinetick, but there is no data going through to charts nor strategies... is this normal? Also, where can I find the details of how NT should behave on disconnect?

Hi nightriderx,

Thank you for your post.

The internet disconnection should eventually cause Kinetick to disconnect as well. Around how long have you seen the Kinetick connection reported as active while the actual internet connection is down?

There is no disconnection-specific documentation, unfortunately. That said, once a loss of connection is reported, NinjaTrader or the underlying API wil continuously try to re-establish the connection.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

yeh, if I recall correctly Kinetick does not even turn red at all throughout the disconnect (IB connection does though and reconnects fine)

what procedure do you recommend following for an internet disconnect?

Comment

Hi nightriderx,

Following an internet disconnection, we'd recommend disconnecting and reconnecting to your data provider within the software (assuming this doesn't occur for you automatically).

Comment

I see. So if I had an open position in IB I am basically screwed...which is what happened to me the other day...which makes leaving the computer impossible therefore making automated trading impossible meaning NT is pointless...

HOW IS THIS NOT ADDRESSED???? so that it would automatically reconnect and continue running the strategy?

Comment

Hello nightriderx,

Sorry to hear of your frustration. We recommend that you never leave the PC unattended while trading your brokerage account, even when using automated strategies. If any error is to occur, you need to be able to access the PC to take immediate action.

As I mentioned earlier, the software should be trying to reconnect in response to a disconnect. As you've reported, this is exactly what occurs with the IB connection.

This is also what should happen to the Kinetick connection if it knew that a disconnection was in effect. Since this isn't occurring, that's my recommended workaround: disconnect from Kinetick, then reconnect.

That said, we do want to investigate why the Kinetick connection isn't dropping. If you'd follow up with my by sending a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with 'ATTN: Kyle' in the subject line, I can further assist.

In the message, please include the following:
            1.) A link to this thread.

2.) Your log and trace files from the last date this did occur.
            You will find the log file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Log folder.
            • The log file will be named ‘log.YYYYMMDD.txt’

You will find the trace file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
            • The trace file will be named ‘trace.YYYYMMDD.txt’

Comment

Thanks will send momentarily. But my question is that if I have a position on - on a running strategy and the internet disconnects when I manually disconnect kinetick and then turn it back on it restarts my strategies and the position I had on is now screwed? right?

Comment

Hello nightriderx,

The strategy would need to be restarted in this case, that's correct.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by RookieTrader, Today, 09:37 AM
                3 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                Started by kulwinder73, Today, 10:31 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes