Setting the default height for an indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting the default height for an indicator

How can I set the default height for an indicator on my chart?

Whenever I do something like add or remove an indicator, the chart sets all remaining indicators to a standard height. I'd like to be able to adjust that value so I do not have to keep re-scaling my indicators.

Thanks,
    EV

Hi ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for your post.

This is possible in a couple of ways:

1. For the general chart scaling you can right-click on the y-axis and then select Properties. If you set your scaling to Fixed you can then define the upper and lower bounds of your price axis. More information at:

2. If you right-click on the chart and then select Indicators you can make sure that each indicator is set to Auto Scale: True. That way the indicators full scale will be included in the chart scale, thus affecting the visible y-axis. More information at:
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I must not have expressed my question clearly.

Each indicator panel defaults to taking up a certain number of pixels vertically. At certain times, such as when installing a new indicator, the system restores the panel to that height.

It is not a matter of data scaling of any kind. It is a matter of setting the default physical height for the indicator panels.

I would like to be able to set that height to be different for a specific chart. How do I do that?

Thanks,
      EV

Comment

EV, I don't believe your chart should ever re-size on its own. I can add and remove indicators all day long on any chart and have never had that happen, in 6.5 or 7. Maybe something else going on but it is not normal to auto re-size in my opinion.

Dan
        eDanny
        NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Th chart does not resize -- the indicator panels do. To see this:
          • set up a chart with a few indicators.
          • resize the indicator panels to various sizes
          • Add or remove an indicator
          • Notice that your indicator panels are now all back to their original sizes.

That last is what I want to control -- I want to either set the default size they will be automatically set to, or else set that they should not be resized (then I could drag them to whatever size I like and they would stay that way).

--EV

Comment

You are right. NT has always acted that way.
            eDanny
            NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

And it is, on the whole, a reasonable default behavior.

Sometimes, though, I find that I have enough indicators that the actual price chart gets squeezed too much. In such a case I would like to avoid the problem. Another time I see the problem is if I am willing to squeeze the few indicators I do have, in order to reserve as much room as I can for the chart itself.

Given that the chart will auto-size the indicator panels at times:
              1. One should be able to turn that behavior off. then one could drag the indicator panels to whatever size one wanted, and they would retain that size. New indicators would be added at the default size, but the existing ones would retain the size I dragged them to.
              2. One should be able to fix the amount of the chart that all of the indicator panels together can consume. The auto-sizing would then apportion the indicator heights evenly withing the total allowed for the indicators. For example, setting this need not be hard -- if I drag the top indicator's top edge that would set the proportion of the chart allowed for the indicators. (Of course, you would also need some way to remove my fixed proportion and go back to the default behavior.)

#2 would not be bad, and it would be an improvement on to day's situation. It would be nice to also have elements of #1, because some indicators squeeze down better than others do.

--EV

Comment

Hi ETFVoyageur,

Thank you for that clarification, and based on those updates the ability to pre-define panel sizes would not be available presently within NinjaTrader but you could create templates and apply individual templates.

However, I have forwarded this as a suggestion to development for inclusion on the list of possible future enhancements to NinjaTrader since the functionality precisely as detailed is not presently available within NinjaTrader.
                Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Templates are no help -- they can load OK< but if you then want to change anything, you are back to the same issue.

--EV

Comment

Another of the hidden ChartControl settings, methinks.

Most probably ChartControl.AutoScaleMode or ChartControl.AutoSize, which latter is a bool, so easily tested. I have not done so myself.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post wzgy0920  
                    Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post wzgy0920