Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workflow - import and cycle though stocks

Hi,
    Here's a typical workflow I'm using with different charting programs, and I wonder how to make it work in NT.

1. I have a list of symbols that I get form my broker's market scanner or Trade-Ideas.
    2. I then import those stocks to the program, and I would like to see some basic data, like Change, Volume, Avg Volume, Bid, Ask, Opening Gap, etc.
    3. Then I would like to cycle through those stocks, and see each one on a single chart. If there's a stock I don't like, I delete it from the list. If there's a stock I like, I would like to open a new chart for it.
    4. I get some new stocks - repeat step 1.

How that can be achieved in NT?
    To the best of my knowledge, here are my difficulties:
    1. Unable to quickly import a list of stocks. The only method I know is going to File->Import.. and then going to Market Analyzer and add the list. Quite cumbersome.
    Is there a quicker way?

2. Unable to quickly open a chart from MA. I need to Right-Click->Send to->Change time frame->Load template... is it possible to create some kind of shortcut for that?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Hello gogetit,

You can create a NinjaTrader instrument list from a text file or by copying / pasting from File Utilities > Import stock Symbol list.

Market analyzer can be linked to a chart window. Set the L in the upper right corner to the same color as a chart. When you click on an instrument in the MA, the chart changes to that instrument.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanM View Post
      Hello gogetit,

You can create a NinjaTrader instrument list from a text file or by copying / pasting from File Utilities > Import stock Symbol list.
      This waaay too slow. Let's say I get 4 stocks when I first run the scanner, let me count the step:
      1. Go to File
      2. Click Utils
      3. Click Import
      4. Paste
      5. Pick the existing list
      6. Click OK
      7. Go to MA
      8. Click Add

now let's say I get 3 more stocks in the scanner ... I need to repeat all those steps.

Now, I don't want to whine and sound lazy, but as a day trader, all those steps count and add up.
      Isn't there a way to access the list of MA even programmatically?

Market analyzer can be linked to a chart window. Set the L in the upper right corner to the same color as a chart. When you click on an instrument in the MA, the chart changes to that instrument.
      This is great, the problem I'm having is to open a new chart for the selected instrument. is there away to assign a shortcut for that?

Comment

These are the current processes for these tasks. Unfortunately there aren't additional shortcuts available beyond what has been mentioned. Thank you for sharing your workflow and offering some feedback.

Comment

Thanks for the help. At the end of day, the simplicity of performing repetitive actions and execute a certain worflow efficiently can make or break.

Overall, I think NT is a great program.

By the way, I have seen this code that access the db directly: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...nstrument+list

Is it still valid? can I see some documentation on how the db is structured and maybe write my code to access and modify the instrument lists directly?

Thanks.

Comment

That's an interesting post. We did change the database technology since that post was made, from Microsoft Access to SQL. Unfortunately we do not support accessing the NinjaTrader database directly so you will have to check on your side to see if the technique still works.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post sarafuenonly123  
            Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes