Unable to load or open saved charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to load or open saved charts

I am unable to find or load any of my charts after saving them in Workspaces. Here is the process I typically use and which I just followed on a test workspace:

Connect to my data feed.
    Open a new chart.
    Draw a couple test marks on the chart.
    Save the chart (workspace) by going to ControlCenter/File/Workspaces/SaveWorkspaceAs and then give it a title.
    Close the chart by pressing the upper right red X.
    Exit the workspace by exiting NT or opening a new workspace, or opening an old workspace and then closing down NT (first disconnecting from my data feed and then going to exit).
    When I exit NT7 I will be asked, “Do you want to save workspace ‘chart test name’? I click yes. [Here something occurs which I do not understand: This question prompt will go through all of my previously saved workspaces and ask if I want to save them: Am I supposed to select "Yes" for all of them (or "Yes to all")? Is this perhaps erasing/writing over my saved workspaces?]
    Re-launch NT7 and go to ControlCenter/File/Workspaces/OpenWorkspace and select a saved workspace. I can connect to the data feed used to create the chart for a saved workspace or not, or I can not connect at all, and either way no chart loads.

*Notably, a couple of times a chart has loaded properly with an opened saved workspace but only a couple of times and I have no idea why.

Does the above show any missteps? Am I perhaps exiting NT incorrectly? Why am I prompted to save all of my workspaces, for instance, before exiting NT? Am I unable to save charts properly because I’m using the free version of NT provided by my broker? Have I perhaps accidentally changed a setting somewhere?

Thanks for the help.

Hi ephilip,

Thank you for your post.

Regarding step 7 if you have already saved the workspace, as per step 4, then if you do not want to save any changes then you will want to say No when exiting the application when prompted to save the workspaces.

Since you are closing the chart in step 5 you are then re-saving the workspace without the chart in step 7, even though it was saved correctly with step 4.

The reason you are prompted to save the workspace when exiting is due to the fact the workspaces are still open, and so you can go to the File > Workspaces and then select an open workspace and then close from File > Workspaces.

Using these steps you should be prompted to only save open workspaces, and only re-save the workspaces when exiting if you have made changes that you wish to save since the last time they were saved.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you. I’d read the Managing Workspaces help section and should’ve figured that out. I have a couple of related questions:

1) Is there any way to place workspaces folders in folders? It seems to me that navigating through thousands of Workspace files may become somewhat inefficient and cumbersome. I went to the Documents/NinjaTrader7/Workspaces folder and created a few folders and then dragged workspaces into them. When I ran NT7 and attempted to open those workspaces, however, I could not see them. How do NT7 users typically manage numerous files? Once you have hundreds or thousands of saved workspaces, does one still typically just go to 'Open Workspaces' and browse to the desired workspace?

2) Does my data connection at time of creating a chart or workspace in any way affect how I pull it back up—that is, should I be connected to that data feed to view that workspace? I have not noticed a difference either way but just want confirm that it doesn’t matter.

Comment

Hi ephilip,

1. The workspace xml files must be in the My Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > workspaces folder and there is not any method of categorization beyond that location, but I have forwarded this as a suggestion to my development team for inclusion on the list of possible future enhancements.

2. No, it does not matter as the workspace will re-load when first connected, whether the workspace is opened first and then the connection or the reverse.
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by r68cervera, Today, 05:29 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post r68cervera  
        Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes