IB with TradeStation as backup Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB with TradeStation as backup Data

Hi, When I setup the IB connection in the wizard, I set the backup datafeed as External, Which is what I have been using to connect TradeStation to Ninja. I was under the impression by watching a webinar, that I needed to connect to the backup connection via the menu File-> Connect . But as I am finding out, External can't be connected when IB is connected as the connection fails.

Long story short, is External connected beause I set it as the backup datafeed in the connection wizard, so it will connect in the background without showing me it is "Connected" in the StatusStrip? or is External not allowed and will not be connected to?

How can I get the backup data feed to be my TradeStation feed? Do I need to run connection wizard and give it another name other than External?

TIA. W2

Hello,

Thanks for your forum post.

You would not be able to setup the External Data Feed to be a backup data feed option unfortunately do to this limitation in that you cannot connect to External Data feed at the same time as another connection. This will cause issues when your first connection fails as this is not the same as a disconnect which doesn't close the connection which doesn't allow the external data feed to connect.

Therefor you would need to use another technology as a backup data feed Unfortunately.

You could use www.kinetick.com which starts as low as 50 dollars per month and you can even have your CME exchange fees waived with a qualifying brokerage account.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Thanks Brett. yes, I will be contacting Kinetic in the near future. let me ask you, what is the sole purpose of having a backup data feed? is it simply to generate the position's PnL? or is it needed to transmit orders?

If IB has trouble broadcasting prices for AAPL the moment that I place an order for AAPL, will that order NOT be transmitted from Ninja to IB? But if the backup data is transmitting AAPL prices, the order will be transmitted?

Thanks. W2
      Last edited by WSquared; 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Hello,

A backup data feed is for when you no longer are getting price quotes but still need to submit an order or use that data to keep a simulated stop loss that is local on your PC running if you lose price feed.

Most connections have 2 servers, an orders server and a price server. If the orders server goes down a backup data feed will not help you. If the price server goes down then the backup feed would help.

Comment

Thanks.

Does the Free End of Day Kinetic connection produce the price quotes needed to use as IB's backup datafeed?

W2

Comment

Hello,

No it would not as Kinetick free does not provide live data.

The subscription Kinetick feed would work however.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by nandhumca, Yesterday, 03:41 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
            Started by The_Sec, Yesterday, 03:37 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby