Simulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simulation

I have been trading in live simulation mode for a couple of weeks, but I can't seem to figure out how to set up the internal, off-line simulation program. There don't seem to be any detailed instructions in the help section.
    Last edited by dcnichols; 03-13-2011, 02:16 PM.

Hello dcnichols

Thank you for your post.

Are you referring to using the Simulated Data Feed in NinjaTrader?

If you can provide more detail as to the steps you are currently taking, I can assist with more specific instruction.

Thank you,
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes Chip, that is what I am referring to. So far, I disconnect from my live feed from Vision, and then connect the simulated feed. Thke little thing comes down in which I can make the markets advance or decline, but no data comes to the charts I have set up using Boomerang. I appreciate your help because there don't seem to be any specific instructions on how to set up the simulator, step-by-step.

Comment

dcnichols,

The Simulated Data Feed creates its fake data in real-time. As a consequence of this, no historical data is available when you connect. That historical data would need to be created in real-time.

That said, as time moves forward you will see bars build up in the chart.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Kyle: Would it be possible to use historical data as if it were arriving to my charts in real time? What I'm trying to do is practice using Mohan's Boomerang Scalp Trader software in simulation until I can prove to myself that I can consistently profit using it. I need more time to practice than is available using simulation in real time. What would be the best way to get this kind of practice?
          Last edited by dcnichols; 03-14-2011, 12:35 PM. Reason: Mispelling

Comment

Hi dcnichols,

You mentioned earlier that you have a Vision connection - is there any reason you're not using this data source? You can still use the Vision connection's real-time data to trade in simulation.

Comment

Hi Kyle:

I already do simulated trading during the day using the real time data from Vision. I want to be able to do simulated trading after market hours and during the weekends. The more practice I can get, the better. And I have more free time after hours and over the weekend.

Comment

Hi dcnichols,

Thanks for the clarification.

Have you considered using our Market Replay function? This would still allow you to trade in simulation after regular trading hours and during the weekends, but would also allow historical data to load in your charts. Additionally, the data which you're replaying would be actual market data instead of randomly generated data, which may be of some benefit to you.

For more information about Market Replay, please see the following link to our Help Guide: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ket_replay.htm

Let me know if this wouldn't meet your needs.

Comment

Thanks Kyle, that helps. I will try downloading replay data from the Ninja Trader Server, instead of recording it myself. This way I can get data from weeks earlier which I won't remember, so that it will be fresh to me. Am I right in assuming that I can do this?

Comment

Hi dcnichols,

Yes, data from many weeks prior to the current date can be downloaded via the File > Utilities > Download Replay Data menu.

Comment

Thankyou. I have one more question. Should I set up the downloaded replay data in a separate workspace from my current live simulation workspace?

Comment

Hi dcnichols,

That's not a requirement, but if you'd like to set things up in that way it would work.

Comment

I've tried to set up the data replay using the File > Utilities > Download Replay Data menu. Unfortunately, although I can see that data coming in at the top left side of the control screen, it is not being reflected in my charts. What do I need to do?

Comment

Hi dcnichols,

Based on your description, I think that the data is being filtered out of your charts by the session template which is currently in place.

To retrieve 24/7 data on a chart, please follow the directions below.
                            • Right click in your chart and select Data Series.
                            • In the Data Series menu, set the "Session Template" property to "Default 24/7", then click OK.

For more informaiton about session templates: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...on_manager.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by RideMe, 04-07-2024, 04:54 PM
                            6 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post RideMe
                            by RideMe

Started by tkaboris, Today, 05:13 PM
                            0 responses