File locations & Historical Data Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File locations & Historical Data Manager

Thanks to the Forum, I've managed to create additional symbol lists. But after an hour and a half, I can't find how to bring them into the Historical Data Manager so that I can download data. I have no idea where any files are located. If anyone can help me I'd sure appreciate it.

Hello Sandmansmx,

Thank you for your post.

Just to clarify, when you say ‘bring them in’ are you referring to adding these items to the “Download” tab of the Historical Data Manager?

Please see the following section of our Help Guide for downloading data via the Historical Data Manager:
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have no problem downloading all the data from Kinetick for the symbol sets shown in the help screen, but I can't add all the symbols that I imported for the whole of NASDAQ, NYSE, and AMEX.

Comment

Sandmansmx,

Are those instruments not avaialble to select, or does data simply not come through?

Are you receiving any error messages?
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I went through the procedure of <file><import stock symbol list> for each of the three lists. Now when I click on <tools><historical data manager><download tab> none of the three lists show up. I only have the Dow30, NASDAQ 100, and SP 500, plus RSS and 6 instruments listed. How do I access those three lists that I imported so that I can download data?

Comment

Hello Sandmansmx,

Just importing the symbols only adds the instruments to NinjaTrader's master instrument list - adding those imported instruments to a instrument list is a manual process. Based on your description, that would be your next step.

Comment

So I don't have to spend an hour trying to find out first, which instrument, and second how to do this, since right clicking doesn't yield anything, would you be kind enough to either tell me how to do this or give me a link. Thank you.

Comment

Sandmansmx,

1.) Which instruments:
                The instruments which you imported need to be added to a list.

2.) The steps required to add instruments to a list are shown here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ment_lists.htm

Comment

I guess I didn't make myself clear when I asked "which instrument", so let me try again. I imported three lists of symbols, one of which is named AMEX.TXT. How do I get this list into the <historical data manager> dialog box under the <download> tab. They do not show up in the lst to the left. In other words, how do I get them showing so that I can download prices? The second part of my question is, "In what directory is this list located and what would its name be?"

Comment

Sandmansmx,

When you imported, you imported just the instruments. Those instruments were not grouped in any way within the NinjaTrader database. Before you see a list of the instruments you imported, you need to add those instruments to a list.

Another way to look at this is that you've just manually created an instrument. That instrument isn't part of a list because it hasn't been added to a list - adding instruments to lists is a secondary process.

Comment

Would you please tell me what steps I have to go through to get the list into the data manager. The help screens you linked me to merely tell one what the screens are. There is not a single place that says what the steps are to get the list into the database. There is nothing that tells one how to link the instrument type to the database that I imported.

Comment

Sandmansmx,

The link I'd provided earlier actually has the steps you need to take: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ment_lists.htm

First, create a new instrument list as outlined in the first section of that Help Guide link.

Next, add the instruments you imported in to NinjaTrader to the list you created by following the procedure outlined in the second part of that Help Guide page.

Comment

Will you please stop merely referring me back to the Help screens. I have read them 10 times. They are incomplete. I am not stupid nor am I computer illiterate.! I have told you that I have imported the list. They do not show up in the Historical Data Manager under Download. If you don't know how to connect the dots and tell me how to pull the symbol list into the Historical Data Manager Download tab, will you please forward this to another customer service person?

Comment

Sandmansmx,

Sorry for the frustration - the help screens do include the steps you need to take, but I can't seem to get my point across.

What I'd like to do is walk you through this over the phone. That being the case, I'll need you to send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with "ATTN: Kyle" in the subject line.

In the note, please include:
                            1.) A link to this forum thread.

2.) Your phone number.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                            2 responses
                            1 like
                            Last Post BarzTrading