Question about Ninja-MBTrading stop handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Ninja-MBTrading stop handling

This is a spill-over from another thread dealing with IOrder methods for preventing rejection of a Exit order in my live cash account because the stoploss had not yet been cancelled: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=39168

The problematic behavior seems to be peculiar to MBTrading. I'm submitting my next question here in the hope of getting an answer from someone who is very familiar with MBT's order handling peculiarities.

My current concern is where the stops are held. I contracted MBTrading to ask this quesion and was told that they are handled on the Ninjatrader side. This is consistent with information given in their forum, but it all makes me wonder why I was led on the NT forum to believe that I needed a solution involving advanced IOrder methods.

Question:
    If the stops are held by Ninjatrader and are not resident on MBT's server, what could be the advantage of using the advanced order handling methods when I could just as well use a hidden stoploss available under OnBarUpdate()?

Even though I appreciate the opportunity to learn the IOrder solution finally arrived at in my previous NT thread, isn't it just a complicated way of cancelling a stop before it has a chance to interfere with the ExitLong() order and cause MBT to misinterpret it? Since the hidden stop method simply avoids creating this problem in the first place, wouldn't that be more robust?

If they're both only events within the "mind of Ninja", so to speak, and both result in sending a market order from Ninja to MBT to ExitLong() or ExitShort() -- but one is just that while the more complicated one involves several IOrder events and confirmations that could conceivably go wrong -- wouldn't it be more prudent to use the simpler method?

Hello,

This is not the case or else you would not have had to do all the IORder method that I suggested too you.

Where do orders reside:
    Note: This information is relevant for NinjaTrader 7 only. For NinjaTrader 8, please click here (https://ninjatrader.com/support/helpGuides/nt8/where_do_your_orders_reside_.htm). CQG Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange. If the exchange does not support a specific order type, the

Stop orders reside on MBT's Servers. This is why you have to cancel before submitting a second order, or else you would not have to do this.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Hello, Brett. Gee, you get around. I didn't expect to find you in the Connections forum.

Thank your for the clarification. Since you didn't seem to be familiar with MBT's OCO restrictions I thought I'd ask my next question in the Connections section. My problem is that I was told exactly the opposite thing by a person who claimed to be MBT's most senior tech representative.

Sorry, Brett, but I just don't know who to believe.

Are there any other opinions out there?

Comment

Hello,

Please see my post I linked this is created by our CEO this has the information that we link to our clients and is used by everyone and can pretty much guarantee it is correct. If you want to forward me the name of the tech support you spoke with over at MBT that let you know this via support at ninjatrader dot com ATTN: Brett with his email address I will be happy to email him and let him know so he can inform other customers correctly.

Also, I'm fully aware of the OCO limitation. This is why I asked you if you where trading futures, forex or equities in the original thread in my first response on your original ticket.

Finally, The OCO issue only affect equities and does not effect Futures or Forex and is a limitation from MBT.

Comment

Great. Yes, read Ray's post first thing after your last response and it is indeed consistent with what you told me. Thanks for the additional clarification about MBT's OCO limitations not applying to forex.

I'm sending you an email with the MBT tech rep's email. He first told me "you'll have to ask Ninja about that", then he switched and started insisting that it's all happening on the Ninja side. It would be good for him to have better information from a Ninja representative. Be gentle, though, he seemed a little frazzled yesterday. By the way, he told me MBT is rolling out a whole set of tech changes that include, among other things, support for OCO orders.

So, once again, thank you Brett for persevering and helping me find the IOrder solution that I will ultimately use.

For any other intermediate level Ninjascript students out there who have accounts with MBT and might have been following this discussion: The Advanced Order methods are not all that difficult to learn. It's all downhill once you twig on the fact that Advanced Managed Orders != Unmanged Orders. They still retain the safety features of the "invisible convenience wrapper" around the simpler order methods under OnBarUpdate(), but you may have to use all three methods (OnOrderUpdate, OnExecutionUpdate and OnOrderUpdate) to do what you want.

ATTN Josh: I still think this is an area that could benefit from some additional Reference Samples demonstrating (from beginning to end) how to deal with with more complicated real world examples of the type I was facing. Having such samples to refer to could save the support first responders a lot of time and help script learners see how to connect parts of a strategy code that are normally only explained in isolation.

Comment

Thanks RainTree.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post rocketman7  
            Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
            7 responses