Computer Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Performance

I'm developing NinjaScript strategies that launch ATM Strategies. I am using some OnMarketData coding which I've tried to optimize, but I'm sure is CPU intensive.

During busy market conditions my chart goes into what I call Burst Mode. That is where the chart will update periodically every few bars (6-10). While waiting for the chart update I can't touch any other NT function. Just trying to select, or close a chart, etc. is impossible. I can't even close ControlCenter. Using TaskMonitor to end the process is the only option

However I can open a browser, or other applications and work "pretty well" with them, a bit sluggish but operating while the NT chart is still waiting to update its chart.

So, this indicates to me that I have a bottle neck somewhere other than CPU.

I know performance issues are very difficult to characterize, but in your experience would I most likely get improvements by looking at Disk performance, RAM performance or other?

This is with a Quad core, 3 Ghz, 4Gb XP system where TaskMonitor shows 25% CPU overall, and no individual core is running more than say, 40-70%. 1.5GB RAM available and PageFile using about 2Gb, of 7Gb available.

Hello tquinn,

Yes, unfortunately hard to pinpoint. You may want to find a utility to monitor your internet connection, so that you can isolate your downstream as contributing factor. It could also depend on the data providers capacity to deliver all the ticks as they arrive.

You can monitor a Time and Sales window compared to your computer clock. The time and sales window is time stamped with the provider's clock so will indicate if there is a delay there.

It could also be your custom code so you will want to verify chart performance without scripts applied to compare.

We can also take a look at your log / trace files to see if NinjaTrader notes anything during these burst periods. Can send to my attention to support 'at' ninjatrader 'dot' com.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by josh18955, 03-25-2023, 11:16 AM
    6 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post Delerium  
    Started by FAQtrader, Today, 03:35 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes