Line Y-value precision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Line Y-value precision

When I create a line, I have a problem that initially I can make it perfectly horizontal, where Y.begin = Y.end, creating a slope of 0. However, on a longer line, when I drag the endpoint to make X.end later in time, I can not line up the Y.begin and Y.end values perfectly. I can visibly see that the line is not perfectly horizontal, and it becomes distracting. This issue is because the Y precision is thousandths, whereas my chart instrument (in this case CL) is only hundredths. So, I am unable to line up the values with the mouse, and have to go to the data tab in the line properties and manually change the thousandths places of Y.begin and Y.end to equal. This is obviously not a good solution.

So, is it possible to change the default precision of the line to equal the precision of the instrument on the chart? Wouldn't that make more sense anyway? Better yet, why not have a horizontal line that has two endpoints, or some way to lock the slope to 0?

Thanks.

Hello JoshDance,

Thank you for your note.

Per your request for the line tool, have you tried using the, "Horizontal Line" tool in lieu of the line tool? When using the Horizontal Line tool, it automatically defaults to a horizontal line with the slope you are looking for, as it only has one price level defined on the y axis.

You can access this line tool via:
    • Right Click your chart > Drawing tools > Horizontal Line or
    • use the hot-key, F6

In addition, if you would like visible end points on your horizantol lines, you can switch the snap-mode of the line to price. When using this snap-mode you will see that the line tool will snap to your initial price level.

To set the line tool tool's snap mode to, "Price." try this:
    • Right Click your chart > Drawing Tools > Snap Mode > Price

For more information about drawing tools, please visit the following link:

Please let me know if this does the trick.

Comment

James,

I put the snap mode to price, used the Horizontal line tool, but I see no endpoints on the line. It stretches across the entire screen.

Comment

Hello JoshDance,

Please let me clarify.

In addition, if you would like visible end points on your horizontal lines, you can switch the snap-mode of the line tool, not horizontal line tool, to price. When using this snap-mode you will see that the line tool will snap to your initial price level.

To set the line tool tool's snap mode to, "Price." try this:
        • Right Click your chart > Drawing Tools > Snap Mode > Price
        • Now use the, line tool (F2) to draw horizontal lines

Please let me know if this does the trick.

Comment

James,

How does this do anything with making the slope of the line 0 degrees?

Comment

Hello JoshDance,

So I may assist you further with this inquiry, can you please send a note to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com with Attn: James in the subject line and a link to this thread in the message?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
            5 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
            Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
            7 responses
            0 likes