Data in volume charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data in volume charts

My NT volume charts show fewer candles than my Sierra Charts charts (both with the same data feed from IB) or my eSignal charts. For example, using a 500v chart on all three, the NT charts have quite a few fewer candles than the other two.

Further, a volume indicator on NT charts shows 40% less volume than SC or eSignal. Did I inadvertantly filter out volume by using some setting in NT?

Miscellaneous Support

Hello,

Building of Tick Based Interval Charts
    When NinjaTrader builds a chart based off of ticks such a tick, volume or seconds based chart, there are several local variables that can cause differences in how the chart will look:

• <LI class=rvps1>Session start and end time
    • Look back period (days back)

Let's say that you have two 24 hour charts of 150 volume bars, the first with a look back of 5 days and the second with a look back of 6 days. These charts will NOT be identical since on one chart, you are aggregating 150 traded contracts per bar with an extra day. Therefore, as the 1st day crosses into the next, its possible to have a bar that spans across two days built from ticks from both the 1st (6th day back) and 2nd day (5th day back). The 2nd chart starts with the first tick time stamped of the 5th day back and thereby resulting in a chart with subtle difference that the first.

If these charts were not 24 hour charts but had clear session start and end time, they would then look identical since NT will not allow a bar to span across sessions.

Comment

Thanks Chris, I understand what you are saying, but I'm afraid the problem is different from what you describe. On a 500v chart, there may be 5 candles on NT but 7 or 8 during the same time frame on SC and eSignal (the latter two agree with each other).

Also, check what I said about the vol. indicator.

Could it be something on my computer? A trading buddy reprots that his NT vol. indicator is close to eSignal's--and why would NT and SC be different since data for both is from IB?
      Last edited by JohnG; 11-07-2007, 10:56 AM.

Comment

This is possible. Volume bars require true tick data which IB does not provide. If you connect NT to eSignal you will see that they match much closer.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post trilliantrader  
        Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
        1 response
        0 likes