Visual Artifacts on thick plot lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visual Artifacts on thick plot lines

Not sure if anyone has posted this, I am fairly new to NinjaTrader and I like to use thick lines, especially since the 1 pixel lines are not anti-aliased in any manner. The thick lines have a visual artifact which makes them less pleasing to the eye than my charts from another system. I have enclosed an example here where an indicator looks like it might be in an oversold condition when bar spacing is tight, but in fact is not oversold. When bar spacing is widened out the artifact goes away.

If I could get a comment from someone that would be great. The cyan line at the bottom of each image is the oversold line. Just to be clear, both images are of the same point in time, just bar spacing difference.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by redliontrader; 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM. Reason: to make clearer

Hello

Thank you for your post.

Please clarify the following so that I can recreate on my side.

What indicators are you applying in this example?

What method did you use to adjust the bar spacing?
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It is really easy to reproduce. I just can't believe that nobody else has brought it up to your attention. Maybe it is just my machine?
      • Install a 2 period RSI with no smoothing on a 5 minute ES 06-11 Chart
        Put the RSI pixel setting on 3px
        Put the OB line at 100 (1px). Clearly there should be no readings over 100
        Tighten up the bars just as tight as possible (CTRL+UP or DOWN) I switched mine to be TS compatible
        There should be several places where it looks overbought with a spiky tail (above 100).
        Zoom back out and they go below the overbought area

Attached Files
      Last edited by redliontrader; 03-22-2011, 06:47 AM.

Comment

I have attached a TS chart to show the visual difference:
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the clarification here:

I was able to replicate with a increased width line. Seems to only occur when it comes to a sharp point. I'm checking with development to see if this is expected or otherwise.

Thanks for submitting this.

Comment

Any news on this.. it is really visually distracting..

Comment

Hello,

Yes there was an update to this. Apologize for not posting back on this as you got buried. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Essentially, development looked into. It is simply the cost of using bigger lines and NinjaTrader fitting the bigger lines into the chart. You would need to use smaller line widths for this to not occur.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

My first reaction is way should there be a cost to using thicker lines?
                Why do I have to pay a price with Ninjatrader that I don't on other platforms?

But seriously, there is something wrong with the endpoints on thicker lines. I have been in the digital visual graphics industry from birth, don't let those coders get away with that.

The basis of charting is visual, and to introduce a very high frequency artifact is distracting to brain that is adept at looking for edges and spikes. It effects the way we think. I wouldn't and didn't let any my products out the door looking like that. You have a tradestation example where there isn't a price for thicker lines, except that you can only plot solid lines.. I do appreciate the ability to plot dashed and dotted lines with thickness.

If the coders need help, I know some of the best visual coders out there. We need to challenge them to get it right.It is foundational to the product.

I am counting on you.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for that further information.

It is simply a limitation at this time as we use .net framework for our rendering. However development is aware of it and may take some action to change how this is rendered in future versions of the software.

Thank you for your interest in making NinjaTrader a better product.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by Skifree, Today, 03:41 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post Skifree
                  by Skifree

Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                  0 responses
                  1 view