X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saved Backtests - This is problematic

Hi guys-

I just noticed this behavior:

Say you create a strategy, do some backtests, like what you see and you save the result. You even take a picture of the equity curve and save the .jpg, because you know NT can't yet save those things with your backtests.

A week later, you make some adjustments to your strategy. Perhaps you had a choice of entry types, such as "market" or "limit". Maybe, for simplicity's sake, you set the default to "limit". Initially, this entry type was a "string" type variable, but for more efficient coding it was recently changed to "OrderType".

Now, here's the thing: If the backtest I saved a week ago had an entry type of "market", and was saved as such, guess what - when I load that strategy, its new entry type is "limit." That's not right - that's not what I saved, that's the default on the new strategy.

Turns out this happens on any parameter you change. Say I was willing to risk $1,500 per position, and I saved that parameter. However, I recently changed that default to $500. The new parameter for the old saved strategy is now $500.

No good guys - that's not the way to "save" things. I actually took a picture (screenshot) of a whole bunch of strategies with their parameters, and recently compared them to what was saved at the time. Not the same. I'm now running back through all my strategies to make sure that I have the correct settings on, as I just can't rely on that anymore.

To reiterate: Changing variable types on models today, changes settings on saved backtests from yesterday.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by cgeorgan; 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM.

Hi Cgeorgan,

Thank you for the report. I'm not seeing the same thing here. These are the steps I followed:
    1. Created a strategy.
    2. Backtested
    3. Saved results (1)
    4. Changed the strategy - Both code and the inputs used
    5. Backtested
    6. Saved results (2)

Is it your experience that results 1 & 2 should match? I'm not seeing this here - 1 retained the same report that was originally saved. Let us know if these aren't the correct steps needed to see the issue.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ryan-

Thanks for looking into this. I'm going to attempt to make a better reproducible test case.

In terms of code changes, one thing I did specifically was to change an input "type", originally a string with a default setting of "@Limit", to NT-defined "OrderType" with a default "OrderType.Limit". In case of saved backtests where I had saved the "string" setting as "Market", the new settings reflected "OrderType.Limit".

Comment

Thanks, cgeorgan. I will look for your reproducible case. I tried changing the input type as you suggest but the the results of the test is the same either way since I didn't use the input in code for entry / exit conditions.
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by WeyldFalcon, 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
        14 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post Handclap0241  
        Started by Barry Milan, Today, 10:35 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes