Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backtesting & time stamped tick data

Hello,

Can NT with Kinetick data backtest tick by tick where each tick has a time signature/stamp (whatever its called) and not bundled by bar size or minute data? If so, how far back can you go?

Thanks.

Hi billr,

Thank you for your post.

Tick data is available from Kinetick extending 120 days, and it is natively time-stamped from the Kinetic servers.

Because these two facts then you can back test on a tick by tick basis from the data available for 120 days off of the Kinetick servers if you configure the Strategy Analyzer to backtest in that manner
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

OK. thanks Ryan. What are the Strat Analyzer settings I need to check?

Comment

Hi billr,

The settings you would use would be back-testing based on a bar period type that is built using component ticks, such as a tick bar, and even though the ticks will be bundled each tick will be accounted for within the bar.
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

So if I use a 100 tick chart for example, what setting ensures that the StratAnalyzer will read each tick in the correct time sequence within that bar? And, is it a setting in Strat Analyzer only or will I also need to make sure my Ninja script has some certain coding also? What if the strat is created using Wizard?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi bill,

There is not a setting available that allows NinjaTrader to automatically look in the contents of the bar. You have to code this granularity as an additional series, or test with market replay, which then plays back the sequence in order.
            Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Oh. That sounds slightly different than the answer below via Ryan Olsen. Can you clarify?

Also, if you use market replay, would I need to record my own or does Ninja keep time-stamped tick data in the replay server?

OR, what if I used a 1 tick chart with trade triggers generated from a 100 tick chart?
              Last edited by billr; 03-24-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Please see here for discrepancies expected real time versus backtest, which explains this in more detail:

There is a sample available that can help you backtest with intrabar granularity:
                You can submit orders to different Bars objects. This allows you the flexibility of submitting orders to different timeframes. Like in live trading, taking entry conditions from a 5min chart means executing your order as soon as possible instead of waiting until the next 5min bar starts building. You can achieve this by

Market replay files for commonly-traded instruments are recorded and supplied by NinjaTrader. You can also record your own by turning this on at Tools > Options > Data tab.

Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by ZenCortexCLICK, Today, 04:58 AM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post ZenCortexCLICK  
                Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                172 responses