Vertical grid charts in NT7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical grid charts in NT7?

So, when I add a new symbol to a chart it automatically adds it as another horizontal panel (i.e. row) - thus also enabling equidistant charting. That's all nice and dandy but is it possible to stack symbols vertically, similar to what one can do in Prophet or TOS?

Thanks,

Michael

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your post.

This is expected due to the 'Equidistant bar spacing' setting. When it is set to False, you will see gaps for periods when the instrument did not trade or possible overlap of data series. If set to True it will exclude the gap. You can find it in the chart properties menu.

When using more than one data series in a chart, 'Equidistant bar spacing' is always set to False.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That is NOT what I was asking. I am trying to put two symbols on one chart - but side by side, not top-bottom.

Comment

Side-by-side - That is not currently supported in the NinjaTrader charting feature.

You could overlay these data series or plot both on the same chart panel & have them reference opposite y-axis; i.e. left / right.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
        ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I really like NinjaTrader but the inability to display charts side-by-side is a real weakness. Instead of having a nice 2 x 3 grid of six different securities, for instance, I have to lay all six one on top of the other. The end result is that the whole left side of my screen real estate gets wasted showing historical data much farther back then I need to see.

I know the fix is to have 3 side-by-side windows with a chart of two securities each but there are no settings to make each window exactly the same size and it ends up being a bit of a mess.

At least give us the ability to specify the exact window size so it can be easily replicated. Better yet, give us the ability to create grids.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the forum post and welcome to the NinjaTrader support forum.

NinjaTrader is actually designed with this ability in that each chart is a free floating window. I would suggest that you create 6 charts, each with there own window and then position them in the 2x3 rows that you like. Each window simply needs to be resized to fit your needs. This only needs to be done once as once this is completed and you have all the charts positioned where you like then you will want to save the workspace so that you dont have to set it up again.

FIle->Worksapces->Save workspace.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Is there a way to input the size of the window? Say I have a 1440 by 900 screen. For a 2x3 grid setup, I want 6 windows of exactly 480 x 450. Is there a way to input those parameters to set the size of the window? Otherwise, by hand, the windows all end up being a slightly different size and its looks bad.

Comment

Hello,

There is currently no way. However when I manually line it up with the corners I can get it even no problem.

However I will submit this as a recommendation to our development team.

Thank you.

Comment

Hello,

You can hold down shift on your keyboard and right click on NinjaTrader in the task bar and stack them this way. However it wont put it in a grid. it will simply stack them all the same size.

It has been given #834 for your suggestion in our suggestion tracking system.

Thank You very much for sending that.

Comment

Agree

" really like NinjaTrader but the inability to display charts side-by-side is a real weakness. Instead of having a nice 2 x 3 grid of six different securities, for instance, I have to lay all six one on top of the other. "

I really like NT7 - it's a major improvement and it's a lot more stable than 6.5. That definitely was a priority and if I had a choice between grid or equidistant charts I'd go with the latter any day. However, I have to say that grid charts are standard among any other trading software I have come across in my time. At 'least' you guys should offer a way to automatically stack charts in a grid formation across one display. Having been a SWE myself for 15 years I know that implementing a Windows call like that is rather trivial. It would provide a huge benefit to us screen estate starved traders.

My 2 cents - FWIW.

Cheers,

Michael

Comment

Thanks molecool.

It is being tracked with #834 in our suggestion list.

Thank you.

Comment

suggestion list

where oh where is this infamous suggestion list?

what is the timing associated with providing the ability to create a desktop like Tradestation or others that you have tabs for different windows. it is really frustrating to have to work with charts individually limiting thier size based on the monitor realestate and the other charts you wish to keep active during a session.

just seems like basic windows stuff.

Comment

Hello,

This list is an internal document that we track what changes to make to NinjaTrader.

I unfortunately cannot comment further on the status of items on the list or their status with development. I can verify that items are on the list however.

Comment

Actually, I discovered by accident that there is a native windows solution. Simply right click on the NinjaTrader Tab in the Windows Task Bar at the bottom of your desktop screen. You should get a menu that offers you the choice to 'cascade', 'tile horizontally', and 'tile vertically'. This sets up your charts nicely on your desktop and allows for easy further customization. In the future, support might want to tell people about this; though, I still do think it would be nice to have a property inside the ninjatrader charts that you input the chart dimensions directly. Thanks.

Comment

SrgTroy,

Please see post number 9 of mine where I mention this.

I believe this is new with Windows 8 however not 100 percent sure on that. It is on the suggestion list still though.

Thank You.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Mestor, 03-10-2023, 01:50 AM
                              16 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post z.franck  
                              Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes