Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backtesting question regarding Adjusted Close Price

Hi,

I am trying to do some backtesting on a stock based on its close price. I understand Adjusted Close Price is better for this purpose because it considers dividend and split. Here is my question:

For example, say, the Jan 4th's close price is $10.5, and Jan 3rd's close price is $10, so the daily return was 5% on 1/4. On 2/1, there was a dividend of $0.5 and it is the only dividend between 1/4 and now. As the result, the Adjusted Close Price of 1/4 is $10, and the Adjusted Close Price of 1/3 is $9.5. So if I calculate the daily return based on Adjusted Close Price, it would become 5.26% (i.e. 10/9.5-1). That means the return calculated based on Adjusted Close Price in backtesting deviates from the real world. If my strategy is to sell the stock when it increases more than 5%, the backtesting will sell, but in the reality i will not sell.

I am very confused.. Can anyone enlighten me and share his approaches/opinions?

Thank you!

Hello,

Thanks for the forum post and welcome to the NinjaTrader support forums.

The best thing to do is to update the chart and apply and offset to it when a split/dividend occurs so that it does not alter your trading system.

To do this when connected to your datafeed provider goto Control Center->Tools->Instrument manager->Edit the instrument you want to adjust for then goto the MIsc tab and on the bottom select the update splits and dividends.button.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by trilliantrader, Today, 03:01 PM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
    Started by geddyisodin, Today, 05:20 AM
    6 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post geddyisodin