Defaults for BuySellVolume indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defaults for BuySellVolume indicator

I believe that the defaults for the BuySellVolume indicator are for the "Buy" plot to be green and the "Sell" plot to be red. If I inadvertently changed it myself I apologize, and you can disregard the rest of this post!

I think this is not logical, that is, your labeling of what constitutes "buy" and "sell" volume. It seems that you count a transaction at the offer as sell volume and thus color it red. This is opposite of the more intuitive way to view it-- a buy market order is matched to an offer, and thus should be colored green, and vice versa. Much in the same way the default settings for the time and sales window is such that an order at the ask is in green. So, on a big up bar with lots of market buys, I have a big red bar on the indicator.

Or am I misunderstanding the way you plot this?

Hello JoshDance,

Thank you for your post.

The default plots are Buy = Green & Sell = Red.

The detail from the Help Guide is as follows: “The BuySellVolume indicator displays a real-time horizontal histogram of volume categorized as buy or sell trades. Trades are categorized in real-time as a buy (at the ask or above) or as a sell (at the bid or below) and then color coded .... Trades in between the market are ignored.”

If you disagree with the logic then you can change these colors in the indicator settings dialog to your own custom configuration.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    ChipNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Buy Sell Volume Indicator

Hi Team,

I also am having an issue here.

If I plot this indicator on a chart, and sit and watch the time and sales at the same time, while I can't agree this is a perfect test it really does seem that the NINJA INDICATOR IS NOT PERFORMING ACCORDING TO ITS OWN LOGIC. I think Josh picked up on this.

That is, the logic is to plot buys exactly as you have stated, but it seems to be doing the opposite, thus by changing the colours (swapping them), it then seems to work as it should.

Could you please have a detailed look and confirm your defaults are correct? It appears that it is being plotted in reverse to what you have stated below.

Please note that I have conducted a second test, whereby if I reverse the colours it THEN matches another third party indicator I have.

I could be wrong, but could you please take a look?

Cheers,

wave
      Last edited by waverider; 04-29-2011, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Looks OK to me...

Edit...oops...initially was looking at the wrong indicator in screen shot 1 below....looking at screen shot 2 below with the BuySellVolume in panel 1 & 3...default settings on BuySellVolume are in panel 1...reversed colors are in panel 3...comparing to BuySellCentered in panel 2....believe it appears that default colors are more accurate that reversed colors....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++

The VolumeUpDown indicator looks fairly OK to me...

In the screen shot below...panel 1 is the default version of VolumeUpDown....and comparing to panel 2 (the BuySellCentered indicator) it appears reasonably accurate....panel 3 shows colors reversed in VolumeUpDown....this is not at all accurate comparing to panel 2...

Thanks....
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Alfred; 04-29-2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I looked at this again today. I believe my first post was incorrect. I swapped the values and it appears to me that the labeling and colors are consistent: buys are green, and these are correctly showing volume conducted at the offer. I apologize for being wrong to begin with, and sorry if this caused anyone to lose time chasing anything down, but I just did a comparison and it appears to be correct.
          Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
          Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes