Quad vs Dual core computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quad vs Dual core computers

Am thinking of a new computer. Can NT7 performance really benefit from Quad processors? or would a faster dual core be better?

And how about other features such as hyperthreading and turbo boost?

thanks

Hello jimbo002,

NinjaTrader 7 comes with optimized multi core/multi-processor support. This e.g. would allow you to make full usage of multi-core/ multi-processor hardware. However, due to the nature of the Window OS, NinjaTrader 7 would not be able to fully use all available multi-cores/multi-processors at any given time.

Hyperthreading is supported as well - please see the forum thread below.

I was not familiar with turbo boost, however I searched the web for information and came across the link below from Intel.

I assume turbo boost applies to all processes running on your PC including NinjaTrader.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

HT

One issue with HT is that it tends to not decrease the time of more advanced simulations. Maybe on a very small parameter set you can notice a difference but that could just be due to std error.

On tests of about 4 hours plus we notice no difference with an i7 with HT on or OFF. some runs and faster with it on, some are slower.

When overclocking a machine leaving HT off helps reduce temps...if thats of any concern.

HT was specifically designed for applications that were not multithreaded anyway. It has to do with intels large pipeline and ensuring it stays full so the processor is working at a higher efficiency. With true multithread operations where the CPU is maxed at 100% most of the time, its not having any trouble keeping the pipeline full thus the hyperthread cores offer little or no advantage. In Some cases they actually slow performance as they are an added step between the data and the physical core.

Take a look at synthetic benchmarks, they offer insane improvements in "theoretical" performance on some applications yet on others that are highly multithreaded like 7zip etc. The performance is similar to that of an i5 at the same frequency which has no HT.

Comment

Any thoughts on expected optimization performance for a Desktop using AMD A8 VISION 3820 processor? Or better to use an Intel I7?
        Last edited by AnotherTrader; 10-09-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

You want the fastest CPU/bus speed you can get. You might also consider using the Genetic optimizer which is faster than the default (brute force) optimizer.

Comment

I don't think # of cores really matter in NT7's optimizers, it only uses around 9% on my 6-cores and 12-15% on my quad-core machines. Yet I am using Genetic algo.

Hopefully, NT can provvide better optimizer in NT8.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by andrewtrades, Today, 04:57 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by chbruno, Today, 04:10 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post chbruno