Collapse

Chart Limit Order Entry Hot Keys / Chart dialog box / Asking for improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart Limit Order Entry Hot Keys / Chart dialog box / Asking for improvement

Ninja is a great tool...I really appreciate it...there is an area that for me needs fine tuning...

as a scalper I need to see tick bars forming. When the chart is moving fast these bars are created quickly.

When I go to place a limit order on Chart Trader, right mouse click, the dialog box pops up and I can then choose the order type.

However, I have a scalping strategy for fast tick charts.

When the chart is moving fast having this right-mouse-click box overlays the chart where I intend to place the order and at times causes me to miss important information, even if it is for a second or two. Really.....

I don't have a concrete suggestion. Perhaps one idea would be to have a transparency option on the chart.

Another might be to set hot keys for the types of orders that are in this dialog box.

Or, perhaps now that I think about it...I really like this idea:

There could be more buttons on the Chart Trader, on the right, for these order types.

Here is an idea of how it would work....have the new buttons separate from the current buttons, perhaps below the Flat/Entry P/L.

Then a Right Click on the chart would set the entry price. I suppose there could be a pending indicator on the chart that persisted say 10 seconds and then the new button would be used to place the order.

And, the Dialog Box that now comes up with RIght Click would be changed to come up with Left Click...or perhaps Wheel Click. It would still have the same Order Entry Options, but they would not be needed to place the order.

Or another option...I never use the current buttons, except for Close, how about the ability to select which buttons to have on Chart Trader?

Right now you have to right mouse click to set the entry price, and that is good. You would still need to click on the chart to set the entry point.

Would like to have a way that is as fast and easy, with as few mouse clicks, etc, as now, but without the dialog box hiding the action part of the chart.

Something along these lines.

Others?

Thanks.

Hi Turtle Trader,

Thanks for your post and feedback.

Have you tried using the custom hot key order actions?

Please review our Help Guide article on the Hot Key Manager for more information:

By default you will see action keys for buy/sell market/bid/ask, however you can also create custom hot keys for limit, stops and other order types.

See Trading with Hot Keys--> How to create custom order actions from the Help Guide linked above for more information on this.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

not sure about that

1) looks like this method will not place an ATM order. My trades have three targets with both initial, and fixed and trailing exits that an ATM manages.

2) looks like this method only offers an entry at an offset from the current price....that won't work for me. I need to specify with the mouse where the entry price is. I don't use fixed entry offsets as the entry points are dynamic, i.e. never the same.

please advise

Comment

Hello,

1) This method should submit the ATM Strategy that you have selected via the chart trader ATM drop down menu. I just tested this and worked as expected - please let me know if this is not working for you.

2) Yes, you are correct that you will only be able to place these from an offset of the current price. However, I have seen users use this hot key method to place the initial order and then use their mouse to change to the more accurate level.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

request

Good on #1.

On #2 I would like to write up a formal request based on my original post here. What is the best way to submit this?

Comment

Hi Turtle Trader,

Based on the description initially that should be sufficient and I have forwarded this item to our development team to add this particular feature to the NinjaTrader as an enhancement.

When I hear back from development I can follow-up to this thread with additional information.
            Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Turtle Trader,

In reference to this particular enhancement, development has provided a reference number of 925. Going forward you can use this reference number to check on this particular items ongoing development.
              Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

specific proposal

after thinking about it...the best (for me) would be to be able to set which order entry types are shown on ChartTrader ( would remove the current ones except for Close) and add the Limit orders.

The process to enter an order would still be two clicks...one click on the chart to set the order price, and on on the button to submit the order.

The click on the chart would put a pending price entry horizontal ray line on the chart at the.chart that would persist n seconds or until the order was placed.

Additionally, the hot key buttons could be used to submit the order, but I prefer the mouse because my hand is already on the mouse (for scalping fast moving charts).

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
                  Hello,

2) Yes, you are correct that you will only be able to place these from an offset of the current price. However, I have seen users use this hot key method to place the initial order and then use their mouse to change to the more accurate level.
                  Hi...does hotkey order entry work when in market replay data ??...have tried several hotkey variations for different order entry types and cannot seem to get any hotkey results when in replay....

Thanks....

Update....found the problem...did not have the Use order entry hot keys box checked in the Options / General tab...

Thanks....
                  Last edited by Alfred; 04-30-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Is this in NT8 or NT7 now?

Comment

Hi vlc,

It has not yet been implemented in NT7 or NT8.
                      <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                      168 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post sidlercom80  
                      Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                      3 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred