Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragging chart horizontally

Hi

Sometimes when dragging the chart left and / or right, the background vertical and horizontal grid scrolls with the price bars, and sometimes it doesn't.

I can't find what determines whether the grid will scroll or not, which is a problem when I'm trying to scroll the chart so as to position a certain price bar over a vertical gridline.

Does anyone know what determines whether the gridlines scroll or not?

Rgds
    Paul.

Hello Paul,

It depends on the range of the Y-axis. If you have a large range as per the Y-axis, grid lines will occur in larger increments. If the range of the Y-axis is less, you will see grid lines at smaller increments.

You can configure the grid lines as follows. Please right click your mouse on the right side of the Y-axis and select 'Properties'. Subsequently, configure the grid lines using the 'Horizontal grid lines interval type/value' settings to your liking. That way, the range of the Y-axis does not affect the grid lines anymore.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason

From your answer I think I've failed to describe the problem adequately.

Please see this video to see the problem with chart grids.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Rgds
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pauly139 View Post
        Hi Jason

From your answer I think I've failed to describe the problem adequately.

Please see this video to see the problem with chart grids.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Rgds
        Paul
        That is a natural consequence of price being auto-centered on the chart.

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't understand? Why would it happen sometimes and not others? It appears to be totally random to me.

I'm unaware of any auto-centering being applied to my charts - in fact I'm sure that price isn't auto-centered as it climbs and falls the full height of the charts.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly139 View Post
            I'm sorry but I don't understand? Why would it happen sometimes and not others? It appears to be totally random to me.

I'm unaware of any auto-centering being applied to my charts - in fact I'm sure that price isn't auto-centered as it climbs and falls the full height of the charts.
            Because auto-centering means that changes are only made if price would scroll off the chart otherwise. An easy way to demonstrate it is to make your chart shorter, forcing auto-centering to occur more often.

In other words, if your chart (as displayed on the screen at any particular time) encompasses the entire price range for the displayed dates, then there will be no auto-centering. If you scroll the chart until the price range exceeds the chart's vertical span, the chart will be recentered. Just watch the y-axis, and you will see the change in the range of the chart, as it happens.

Comment

Well, that still makes no sense to me. However to test it I expanded the shrunk the vertical range by clicking and dragging the Y-axis so that the 'F' appeared, and scrolled the chart horizontally so that price appears disappeared off the chart. Still makes no difference as to whether the vertical grid lines move sideways as I scroll the chart sideways, or whether they don't.

However thanks for your efforts to help - I appreciate it.

Comment

Hello pauly139,

I viewed your video, however I do not experience such behavior on my end when scrolling data in my chart. The grid lines move along with the data - the grid lines do not stay fixed while I scroll data. Only when the Y-axis range changes while scrolling, the grid lines will change.

You can set fixed grid lines by right clicking your mouse on the right side of the Y-axis and select 'Properties'. Does the issue persist if you use fixed settings for grid lines?

What NinjaTrader version do you have installed? You can check this at Control Center-->Help-->About.

Comment

Hi Jason

Unfortunately setting the property to 'Fixed' had no effect. I still sometimes have the grid scrolling with bars, sometimes not. I have tried to find a pattern related to the beahviour, and thus far haven't found anything.

Rgds
                  Paul

Comment

Hello Paul,

I see, please let me know if you notice a consistency. I will continue to test it on my end and try to reproduce it.

Could it be you have any custom or 3rd party indicators applied in the chart?

In addition, could you please tell me what NinjaTrader version you have installed.

Comment

V 7.0.1000.4

I didn't realise an indicator could affect the chart grid scrolling properties - can it?

Comment

Hello,

I was able to duplicate this on my side.

To make sure this is what it is. This looks to be related to tick charts. Please try to scroll on a minute chart as a quick test. Does it now work as you expect on a minute chart no problems.?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Seems consistent on minute charts with the grid scrolling in conjunction with the price bars

Comment

Hello,

Alright thanks for that confirmation, this is then expected then with time frames that are not consistent and variable as they are with tick charts in this case. Since NinjaTrader needs to redraw the horizontal lines each chart move as the time line is constantly changing as each bar is a different period of time and is simply a limitation of tick charts.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
                            Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
                            5 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse