Different between backtest and live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different between backtest and live

I have been comparing live trades to sim trades to what the back testing shows. I have concluded that Sim account trades are very very close to my live account trades. I run my strategies on a sim account and the live account at the same time so I can see if there is any slippage. I have found this to be minimal with my setup. How ever when any and every trade is calculated in a back test 50% of the trades have the minimum slippage it seems. This is why.

Take a basic cross over strategy that fills a order on the live account and on the sim account at lets say $100.00. This moment is time stamped. If you go to back test at this very moment all 3 prices should be all the same. BUT lets say the market goes up in the next 10 minutes, and now your moving average has changed. the "crossover" point where the initial trade triggered has now moved. If you go and back test at this time it will show a different time stamp and price for what should be the exact same trade.

Why does the back testing software apply calculations based on what I would call the "whole finalized picture" verses calculating the trades based on bar after bar.

Think of the data being tested as a wave of information. Why does the analyzer calculate EVERYTHING based off of a static finalized wave. NOT on a bar to bar basis.

Yes you can I guess add in the slippage value yourself IF you know the value. But this to me is a huge drawback and I don't see why it can't be integrated into the software a proper way. Yes it may take a considerable amount of time to actually compute the data but it will be realistic results. Just like the default optimizer and the genetic optimizer options.

In other words trades in the back testing should be exactly the same as if they were done with a sim account.
    Last edited by olingerc; 04-30-2011, 07:40 PM.

I could almost follow your post.

Does this answer your questions? (Also search in your NT7, Help -> Help-> Search->BackTest -> Discrepancies : Real-Time vs Backtesting

Comment

This does answer my question, thanks. I guess the flaw is with the data providers being so inconsistent. The slippage box now becomes the most useful variable to get accurate results. Unfortunately one would have to test out with a live account with their strategy to see how much difference there is from a live account to a historical back tested with that specific strategy.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by algospoke, 04-17-2024, 06:40 PM
      6 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post algospoke  
      Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
      4 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post arvidvanstaey