• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Freezing using 64 bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Freezing using 64 bit

    I'm experiencing loading during regular trading hours (8:30am - 4:00pm CDT). The loading I'm referring to:
    1. The cursor / mouse freezes during movement.
    2. Chart updating freezes.
    During this time I have had open the task manager and NT only uses up to 25% of the cpu's and the idle processes are at 70%. Does NT try to maximize the unused processing since I only see NT go up to 25% ? I also see this maximum 25% when NT is starting.

    My computer spec's:
    Dell Inspiron 580
    Core I3 550 @ 3.20GHz
    4 GB ram
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit w/ service pack 1

    I'm using the 64 bit version of NT7 (the latest). I am sending the trace & log file via the mail to support function in NT.

    Please advise.
    Thanks

    #2
    The mail function failed...something like "failed to respond". I am sending the trace and log file to support with this post as reference.

    Comment


      #3
      Hello,

      Thanks for the forum post.

      By chance do you have a quad core processor?

      I look forward to assisting you further.
      BrettNinjaTrader Product Management

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
        Hello,

        Thanks for the forum post.

        By chance do you have a quad core processor?

        I look forward to assisting you further.
        Yes...Core i3 is a quad core.

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks, your processor is maxed out. There are 4 cores so divide 100% usage by 4 that gives you 25% on one thread and when you have 25% CPU usage you are maxed out.

          What third party indicators are you running? Also give me an idea of how many charts your running and workspaces you have running in the background?

          I look forward to assisting you further.
          BrettNinjaTrader Product Management

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
            Thanks, your processor is maxed out. There are 4 cores so divide 100% usage by 4 that gives you 25% on one thread and when you have 25% CPU usage you are maxed out.
            My understanding was that NT7 took advantage of the multi-processors where as NT 6.5 didn't. If this is the case...why is it only using one processor?

            What third party indicators are you running?
            The main one is gomcd.

            Also give me an idea of how many charts your running and workspaces you have running in the background?
            Currently I have 25 charts but I did have a market replay workspace open since this weekend that I don't normally have open. The second workspace isn't the root cause since the freezing issue didn't start 2 days ago.

            So the major question is...does NT7 utilize more than one core? I would think that it suppose to if I'm really using the 64 bit version.
            Last edited by williammanda; 05-03-2011, 09:03 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              Hello,

              All the main charts and UI/Indicators all run in 1 thread. What we added in NinjaTrader 7 for multi core support is for running optimizations.

              We want to continue to add multi thread support in NinjaTrader in more places in NinjaTrader in future releases however.

              Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
              BrettNinjaTrader Product Management

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                Hello,

                All the main charts and UI/Indicators all run in 1 thread. What we added in NinjaTrader 7 for multi core support is for running optimizations.

                We want to continue to add multi thread support in NinjaTrader in more places in NinjaTrader in future releases however.

                Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                So what is the solution to the problem?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hello,

                  Unfortunately you have maxed out your CPU, or you have a specific indicator that is especially CPU intensive and is doing most of the maxing out. Did this just start occurring after you added an indicator in or changed a something? If so I would start there.

                  What you will need to do is follow the below performance steps to get NinjaTrader performing well again on this PC.

                  http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ance_tips2.htm

                  Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                  BrettNinjaTrader Product Management

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                    Hello,

                    Unfortunately you have maxed out your CPU, or you have a specific indicator that is especially CPU intensive and is doing most of the maxing out. Did this just start occurring after you added an indicator in or changed a something? If so I would start there.

                    What you will need to do is follow the below performance steps to get NinjaTrader performing well again on this PC.

                    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ance_tips2.htm

                    Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                    A couple of questions concerning the guidelines:
                    1. How does the 25 charts I have running compare as a load for the computer that I have specified? Below normal, normal or above normal?
                    2. Have you any experience using Gomcd? If so...please explain the negative ramifications if any.

                    Thanks

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hello,

                      1. Could not say, If they are just charts I would say no problem. However its all the indicators your running and how many you have applied to each chart and the algorithms that need to be run on each tick. So each trader has different demands. So there is no hard number to compare too. This is where the majority of your CPU usage is most likely.

                      2. Have you any experience using Gomcd? If so...please explain the negative ramifications if any.

                      Sorry no experience.

                      Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                      BrettNinjaTrader Product Management

                      Comment


                        #12
                        When will NT be adding the capability of more threads or cores for normal use?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Hello,

                          I have no information available that I could provide on this at this time unfortunately.
                          BrettNinjaTrader Product Management

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Freezing using 64 bit

                            Hi,

                            I am having similar freezing of my charts and DOM during heavy volume with only 6-7 charts up. I am using a amd athlon tm ii x4 635 quad-core processor with 8 gb memory. Do you recommend a non quad core processor to fix this problem? i.e. is that the only solution?

                            Many thanks for your help.

                            Kim

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Hello,

                              Thanks for the note.

                              Would need a lot more information. This by itself would not cause a freeze behalves. However I bet you have some complex indicators running on these charts that is most likely the cause of this.

                              Please see performance tips below in this case:
                              http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ance_tips2.htm

                              Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
                              BrettNinjaTrader Product Management

                              Comment

                              Latest Posts

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by StevenNelson, Today, 12:29 PM
                              1 response
                              5 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Kate  
                              Started by anupsoni, Today, 12:23 PM
                              1 response
                              3 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Kate  
                              Started by aligator, Yesterday, 12:15 PM
                              7 responses
                              60 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post aligator  
                              Started by frankduc, Today, 11:22 AM
                              3 responses
                              8 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Started by aslane, Today, 10:53 AM
                              1 response
                              8 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
                              Working...
                              X