Freezing using 64 bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar performance issue

I too am having issues with the platform in the past few days-to the point I can't even get it to open to modify some of the settings. It was working fine before and if anything I have decreased the number of indicators and it is much sparser now with those.

Can you suggest a way to get into the program so that I can modify the workspace? Right now it is just freezing on open. I removed NT and reinstalled but that didn't help...Please advise. Thanks!

Paul

Comment

I too am having issues with the platform in the past few days-to the point I can't even get it to open to modify some of the settings. It was working fine before and if anything I have decreased the number of indicators and it is much sparser now with those.

Can you suggest a way to get into the program so that I can modify the workspace? Right now it is just freezing on open. I removed NT and reinstalled but that didn't help...Please advise. Thanks!

Paul

Comment

plemal,

Please try the following steps to force NinjaTrader to start without your current workspace.

• Shut down NinjaTrader
        • Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\workspaces
        • Delete the file named "_Workspaces.XML".
        • After deleting this file, restart NinjaTrader which should startup without any workspaces.

Let me know if you need further assistance
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks that worked! Now if I can keep it from freezing again

Paul

Comment

I posted yesterday regarding the exact same issue and I have the exact same computer i3 CPU [email protected] GHz except with 6 GB of ram.

So as I understand it, NT7 is incapable of making use of the entire processor of modern day computers and only uses 1/4 of the processor? I have same issue when CPU reaches 25 it freezes.

This seems a little bit backwards, don't you think? I know many fellow volume profile traders who have similar computers but use IRT/Market Delta and Tradstation as their platforms with similar indicators and no such issues?

How is this possible that Ninja has made such a fault in construction of the platform?

I have more than enough processing power, but NT7 can't function properly. I honestly am not willing to omit various tools from my trading arsenal (i.e. indicators) due to the platform not being able to make full use of my hardware.

Is there no solution?

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately no solution if the core is being fully utilized with the indicator calculations other then following these performance steps and reducing CPU load. Or having the programmer re write the indicator to be less CPU intensive. We have found that there are a lot of not efficient code out there that can bring NT to a crawl when loaded since they are not coded in a way to is friendly to the CPU for fast execution.

NinjaTrader is multi threaded in many aspects of its design, however the indicators all run on one thread as of current. This is a current limitation and our development team does have this on there list to look into for our next major edition of our software.

-Brett

Comment

A friend of mine seemed to have found the solution to this issue. As stated in one of my former posts, this friend runs the exact set up as me except he runs it on a slightly older Dell Inspiron model that is a dual core, with no freezing whatsoever. He found the following on a gamers site:

"As I suspected, the bad guy here is the i3 processor. The trick here is to disable the hyperthreading feature of the processor. To do this, start MSCONFIG > BOOT > ADVANCED OPTIONS and select to boot the system with 2 processors instead of 4. I did this yesterday and I've been playing PES 2011 since then with NO CRASHING!!! Of course, the global system performance drops a little, but I DON'T CARE!!!"

I followed these instructions and set my system to boot with 2 processors. Today is the first day I had no issues with freezing, even during 9:55 EST news release. I also monitored the 4 p.m. cash close where volume spikes and there was no slow down. Another reason I think this solves the problem is that through the Resource Monitor I could see that CPU got as high as 48 where as before it was capped at 25 which would cause the freezes.

Comment

Originally posted by goldtrader View Post
                  A friend of mine seemed to have found the solution to this issue. As stated in one of my former posts, this friend runs the exact set up as me except he runs it on a slightly older Dell Inspiron model that is a dual core, with no freezing whatsoever. He found the following on a gamers site:

"As I suspected, the bad guy here is the i3 processor. The trick here is to disable the hyperthreading feature of the processor. To do this, start MSCONFIG > BOOT > ADVANCED OPTIONS and select to boot the system with 2 processors instead of 4. I did this yesterday and I've been playing PES 2011 since then with NO CRASHING!!! Of course, the global system performance drops a little, but I DON'T CARE!!!"

I followed these instructions and set my system to boot with 2 processors. Today is the first day I had no issues with freezing, even during 9:55 EST news release. I also monitored the 4 p.m. cash close where volume spikes and there was no slow down. Another reason I think this solves the problem is that through the Resource Monitor I could see that CPU got as high as 48 where as before it was capped at 25 which would cause the freezes.

I am not so sure that will help, as I think Windows is set to use all cores by default, and limiting them is used for trouble-shooting a potential bad core in a chip.

After looking at this thread, I went to the options and noticed that the Number of Processes checkbox was unchecked and the drop down list was grayed out. I have an E6750 CPU, so it's a Duo Core 2, th

"This feature is only for testing purposes to see if one processor/core is bad or not."

With the help of a post of a programmer/savvy NT user, I was able to increase the performance of my NT setup via the following:

I removed (commented-out) as many "Draw" statements out of my indicators as I could (actually, I added a true/false switch to make them optional). It turns out that the Draw commands can impede performance if used heavily because they are very CPU intensive.

Since you say you are using Volume Profile, it is likely that your indicator is using a lot of Draw commands that have to repaint the screen on every incoming tick.

If you have, let's say for example, 3 charts that have indicators that are using many Draw commands to paint the screen, bring up Task Manager and run a Market Replay with all of them visible. Then, minimize to the Taskbar 1 of them and watch the CPU usage. Then minimize 2 of them and note the CPU usage. Without having to paint so many charts with Draw commands every tick, you should see the CPU usage drop. The charts are still running even minimized, but not having to update the screen is a big load off the CPU.

If this helps, you will then have to see how you can modify or minimize the Draw updates to your charts.

Even my 4.2Ghz CPU was having trouble until I edited my code to remove a lot of Draw updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarkus11 View Post
                    I am not so sure that will help, as I think Windows is set to use all cores by default, and limiting them is used for trouble-shooting a potential bad core in a chip.

After looking at this thread, I went to the options and noticed that the Number of Processes checkbox was unchecked and the drop down list was grayed out. I have an E6750 CPU, so it's a Duo Core 2, th

"This feature is only for testing purposes to see if one processor/core is bad or not."

With the help of a post of a programmer/savvy NT user, I was able to increase the performance of my NT setup via the following:

I removed (commented-out) as many "Draw" statements out of my indicators as I could (actually, I added a true/false switch to make them optional). It turns out that the Draw commands can impede performance if used heavily because they are very CPU intensive.

Since you say you are using Volume Profile, it is likely that your indicator is using a lot of Draw commands that have to repaint the screen on every incoming tick.

If you have, let's say for example, 3 charts that have indicators that are using many Draw commands to paint the screen, bring up Task Manager and run a Market Replay with all of them visible. Then, minimize to the Taskbar 1 of them and watch the CPU usage. Then minimize 2 of them and note the CPU usage. Without having to paint so many charts with Draw commands every tick, you should see the CPU usage drop. The charts are still running even minimized, but not having to update the screen is a big load off the CPU.

If this helps, you will then have to see how you can modify or minimize the Draw updates to your charts.

Even my 4.2Ghz CPU was having trouble until I edited my code to remove a lot of Draw updates.
                    Thank you for the heads up on the Draw Commands. I will look into that, but since I have no programming experience I will need to seek out some help on this.

In the meantime I need to focus on the facts which are:

- My friend runs exact same indicators as me with twice as many charts on an Inspiron 560 which is dual core, with absolutely no slow down.
                    - Before I made the change stated above, The CPU would max out at 25 which is when things would freeze (which is exactly what others have stated). Now it goes well over 25 and I have had no freezing, even during high priority news.

Comment

Originally posted by goldtrader View Post
                      Thank you for the heads up on the Draw Commands. I will look into that, but since I have no programming experience I will need to seek out some help on this.

In the meantime I need to focus on the facts which are:

- My friend runs exact same indicators as me with twice as many charts on an Inspiron 560 which is dual core, with absolutely no slow down.
                      - Before I made the change stated above, The CPU would max out at 25 which is when things would freeze (which is exactly what others have stated). Now it goes well over 25 and I have had no freezing, even during high priority news.
                      Thanks for the update.

Wow. That would mean it is a problem with Intel multi-threading running some apps - maybe just their dual core chips (each with 2 threads shows up as 4 processors in Task Manager).

Good to know.......

Comment

same problem

I have to say, that i noticed same problem on my 64bit 6 core Phenom, i noticed problems when i do market replay, back testing etc. On old 32 bit i have never had these problems, it must be Ninja problem. Any workaround?

regards

Comment

Hello,

Are you getting a CPU maxed out like the others on one core?

What third party custom indicators and strategies are you running?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hello,

none of all 6 cores is used for over 30%. Problems occurs in backtesting and Market replay, on old 7 years (1 core Athon) i have never had these problems.

regards

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                            Hello,

Are you getting a CPU maxed out like the others on one core?

What third party custom indicators and strategies are you running?

Comment

Can you clarify exactly what the problem is your running into? Specifically what happens, how often. Is it reproducible in market replay? If so what speed are you running?

Comment

Helo Brett,

i have made a litte exercise :-)

I took the same strategy on the same NT market reply data downloaded from NT server) on my 2 PC
                                1. Strong 6core processor 3,8GHz , 16GB RAM, SSD disk raid etc., Win 7 64bit proffesonal
                                2. Very weak netbook 1,6Ghz Atom - Win XP

and the result is that on 1 PC i always had problems on NT market replay
                                and on 2. there was not any problem.

The speed is 500x.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by zstheorist, Today, 07:52 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post zstheorist  
                                Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
                                8 responses